Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Hunter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 11 Apr 2005 15:26

Hi, I'm trying to find out anything at all about the roots of John Wallace Hunter born 1814/15 in Scotland and his wife Grace Anderson, born 1817 also of Scotland. Their children were all born in Englandf from about 1840 onwards. Apart from that I only have information after 1859, when they lived at 21 Portland Square, St Pauls, Bristol; at this time John Wallace Hunter was a draper. In the 1871 England census, when they were living at Oldland in Bitton, near Bristol (although it was classed as Somerset at that time I think). John was then a farmer of 24 acres employing one man, they had several children. I suspect that John Wallace Hunter and Grace may have come from Ayrshire originally, but because they only put 'Scotland' on the census it's difficult to trace them. I would love to know who their parents and siblings were so if anyone has any ideas or knows where I can find out it would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Kathie

Philip

Philip Report 18 Mar 2008 15:47

Hi Kathleen,

I found your message on the message boards on this site, the interesting thing is that your Hunters are from the bristol/bath area and you believe that they originaly came from from Scotland.

Now I've traced my hunter relatives to the Bristol/Bath area and can't get any further back. but my Hunter aunts all say that my grandfather insisted that his hunters were from Scotland, I sort of put this down as being wrong as I was finding they came from the southwest rather thank anywher near Scotland but your message has intrigued me.

Please get in touch and let me know what you think. I'll try and give you access to my tree but I'm not sure if you already have acces ?

Regards,
Phil Sims

From Phil