Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 1 Nov 2007 17:13

01/11/2007 09:17:12
I can't find my Gt. Grandad on the 1901 census. I can't think of a reason for this except the Boer War. His wife (Alice Ann) is listed as 'Head' of house, but also as 'married'... so where is he?
His name is John Thomas Coverley (also spelt Coveley by mistake, but that's another story!) He was born c.1865 and is on every other census. In 1891 (age 26) he was still living at home but on the birth certificate of my Grandad (Frederick - 30/5/1897) he is listed as the father and married to Alice Ann. I can only think he was away somwhere but if he was in UK would he not be listed on census somewhere?
Any advice about how to find him would be great.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Nov 2007 20:45

What was his occupation on Frederick's birth certificate?

Where did they live?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Nov 2007 20:55

1901 for reference:

Alice Coverley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Relation: Head
Where born: Manchester

Civil Parish: Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: St Phillip
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View Image

Registration district: Manchester
Sub-registration district: Ancoats
ED, institution, or vessel: 27
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 3
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry Beswick 16
Alice Coverley 35
Frederick Coverley 4

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form
up arrow
Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3743; Folio: 105; Page: 1.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 1 Nov 2007 21:04

FreeBMD:

Marriages Dec 1896 (>99%)
Beswick Alice Bury 8c 821 Scan available - click to view
COVERLEY John Thomas Bury 8c 821 Scan available - click to view
Crompton Martha Ann Bury 8c 821 Scan available - click to view
Tippet John William Bury 8c 821

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 11:41

Sorry not replied - not been on for a while. On Fredericks birth certificate his father, John Thomas is recorded as being a 'maker-up of cloth'. I know he wasn't dead in 1901 because he and Alice went on to have further children after 1901. Any clues would be great. He was also still living in 1924 when Fred married my Grandmother and still a 'maker-up of cloth'. At Freds birth they lived at 6 Clayton St, Ancoats, Manchester. On the marriage certificate the Grooms address only says 'St. Philip's, Ancoats' which I think was a sub-district. I have the info. from 1901 census with Alice, Henry and Fred - it was this that first stumped me as to Johns whereabouts.
Thanks for your reply
That's all I can tell you.

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 12:38

I had noticed but just thought it was a coincidence - bit of a close one I know!! I did wonder if there was a connection. Alice was married before. Her maiden name was Dolan and her first married name was Beswick. Henry Beswick in the 1901 census is her son from the previous marriage. I can't find any census records for her when she was married to Mr Beswick - that's for another day. I have not looked specifically for him as Thomas, but I have done searches that have included any combination of his name.
Think I will have to add it to my list for my visit - at some point - to Manchester records office.

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 12:42

Yes, this is them, complete with extended family. I have this record, it is the last one before he married Alice. Thank goodness for extended family - it makes things so easy.
Thanks for your interest, its great to put things past someone else, often things look unlikley but when someone else thinks the same its great.