Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leek family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 6 Sep 2007 12:26

I have just begun a new branch of my tree and am looking for Harry Leek who was married to Annie. He died in the 1st WW and had 5 children, Harry, Lilly, Harold, Gladys and Vera. We believe that Vera might not be his child but the family consisted of 5 children.

Susan

Susan Report 6 Sep 2007 13:00

I have been told the whle family was from Manchester but can not find any matches. There is a possibility he was from Castleford/Pontefract in Yorkshire as I found a possible match on War Graves web site. To be honest I am not yet 100 per cent sure. I intend to speak to some more familiy members very soon.

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 12:53

Don't think this is them, mine are all from Manchester - up to now! you never know. Thanks for your reply.

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 12:59

I have since found and received the record of his marriage.
He married on Jan 27th 1901. He was 20 years old and lived at 19 Lodge St, Newton Heath, Manchester. He was a Tram conductor and as I have been told he continued working on trams and later buses all his life. Apparently, he is recorded on the War memorial near Queens Rd, in Collyhurst, Manchester (Ihave yet to visit) and I have been told he died at the Battle of the Somme. I think I have found him on CWGC web site.
Even with all this info. I still don't know where he was born.
Any clues would be great.
Thanks to you all for your input.

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 16:43

Thanks sooooo much. His dad was John Leek and he was a carter. I think you have found what for some reason I couldn't - Thanks. Can I ask you a question - On the marriage record you have posted, how do you find the other listings that are on the same page/column etc. I have found one or the other for other searches but not been able to match them with possible partners because there is only one name on the record.

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2007 17:01

Thanks, I'll give it a try next time. I will keep you informed on my progress - may be a day or so.