Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MARRAGE OF WILLIAM MCCALLUM +ISABELLA McLAREN

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 29 Jul 2009 11:33

Hi
I'm trying to find the Marrage for William McCallum And Isabella McLaren William was born in the year 1841 and Isabella McLaren was born in the year 1831. William was born in Kilchoman in Argyleshire and Isabella was born in Sutherlandshire (possibly Sutherland)

They had Two Chidren George McCalum born in Balfron Stirlingshire in the year 1864. and Annie Born in Balfron Stirlingshire on the year 1868.

Any leads will be greatfully accepted.

Garry mcCallum

Alan

Alan Report 29 Jul 2009 13:00

Have you tried ScotlandsPeople ?

jolee

jolee Report 29 Jul 2009 13:31

1871 They were lodging with Mary Dalon in Denny Scotland they are married and they have two children George and Mary both aged three so a rough date of marriage would be 1868. Hope this helps

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 29 Jul 2009 14:16

Allan/Joan.

Thank you for taking time out. I have traced them to where they live and i know their Family But i just can't find the marrage. Does anyone know a reaseon why I cant find them?

Regards

Garry

Alan

Alan Report 29 Jul 2009 14:44

At risk of sounding silly..........................are you sure they were married ?

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 30 Jul 2009 16:46

I'm starting to think that they were not!! Can any one point me in the right direction of where to go next if they were not married.

Cheers Guys

Garry

alviegal

alviegal Report 30 Jul 2009 17:31

They had more children than the 2 you have named so the marriage would have been earlier than 1864

1881 Scotland Census
about William McCallam
Name: William McCallam
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Isabella
Where born: Kilfinnan, Argyleshire
Registration Number: 472
Registration district: Balfron
Civil parish: Balfron
County: Stirlingshire
Address: Spinners St Robertsons Houses
ED: 2
Household schedule number: 94
Line: 14
Roll: cssct1881_131
Household Members:
Name Age
William McCallam 41
Isabella McCallam 45
William McCallam 25
George McCallam 17
Annie McCallam 13
Andrew McCallam 5

WILLIAM MC CALLUM Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
04 NOV 1856 Killearn, Stirling, Scotland
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM MC CALLUM Family
Mother: ISABELLA MC LAREN

alviegal

alviegal Report 30 Jul 2009 18:00

I had a look on scotlandspeople for a marriage but couldn't find one. So I had a look for her death which was in 1892 in Drymen.
It states that she was married to William McCallum but her name is written as Isabella McLaren McCallum which is unusual I think, as usually the woman will have her married name down without her maiden name as well.
There is also an addition made stating SEE REG OF COR. ENTR. VOL 1 PAGE 22 FEB 25 1892.
Not sure where you would get this from but it may have additional information.

Liz

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 1 Aug 2009 09:34

Alviegal

Thank you for taking time out to have a look at this for me i'm very greatfull for your help!! I have willia on the 1871 Census as living as a Lodger at number 22 Stirling Street in Denny with his Wife Isabella their son George and their daughter Annie. According to the 1871 Census it states that Isabella was 40 years old! whitch means she was 10 years older than William. But in 1881 it states that she was only 4 years older than him!!

Do you think that one of the Census's could be wrong? or do you think i might have the wrong person the 1871 Census?

Garry

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Aug 2009 09:47

Where and when do the kids' birth registrations say the marriage was?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Aug 2009 10:54

As MGNV says, the birth certificates for the children (available from scotlandspeople) will tell you the date and place of the parents marriage. If the parents weren't married then both parents would have to sign the birth certificates for the children to be registered as McCallum. If only the mother was present at the registration then then would be registered as McLarens.

When you search and view a certificate on Scotlandspeople, if there is an entry on the Register of Corrected entries (RCE) you will see a button (I think from memory it is red) that says RCE if you click on this for one credit you will be able to read the correction. It may be that the parents married after the childs birth and that this is what the correction is.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 1 Aug 2009 11:52

Rita

It wasn't just in remote areas that marriages took place at home. Even in the cities in Scotland many marriages took place outside churches. Often they were in the home of the bride or groom and sometimes in hotels etc. If the marriage took place after the introduction of statutory records (1855)the marriage would still be registered.

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 1 Aug 2009 12:23

Rootgatherer...
You have gave me some good advice once again, Thank you!! Can I ask a question. How accurate are the Census records? ie Peoples ages I have Isabella McLaren on Two Censuses with Two different ages.

Garry.

Aileen

Aileen Report 1 Aug 2009 16:57

According to George's birth certificate William and Isabella married May 1853 in Stirling. Prior to 1855 not all marriages were recorded.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 2 Aug 2009 08:05

Hi Garry

Ages given on census records are only as good as the age stated by the person giving the details and should only really be used as a guide to finding a record of birth. For all dates that I gather prior to Statutory registration (1855), I try to find more than 1 source - just to confirm.

As Aileen says prior to 1855 not all births and marriages were recorded but that doesn't mean that they didn't happen. The OPRs available on Scotlandspeople are mostly Church of Scotland records. So for example a Roman Catholic marriage or baptism may not be found there. Also there were quite a few non catholic churches around at that time whose congregations may not neccessarily have had their "events" recorded by the Church of Scotland. Certainly for births, it is fairly common to find that only some of the children have been christened in the Church of Scotland.

As the Statutory records of the births of William and Isabella children give a date and place of marriage, you may have to assume that that is all the proof you are going to find. As William and Isabella both died after 1855 you may be able to get back a further generation if the informant(s) at their death knew the names of their parents.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 2 Aug 2009 08:24

Just for reference.

Is this the 1871 census you have?

Name: William McCallum
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841
Relationship: Boarder
Where born: Kilfinan, Argyllshire
Registration Number: 476
Registration district: Denny
Civil parish: Denny
Town: Denny
County: Stirlingshire
Address: Stirling St
ED: 3
Household schedule number: 22
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1871_82
Household Members: Name Age
Mary Dalon 40
Mary Dalon 15
Elisabeth Dalon 4
William McCallum 30
Isabella McCallum 40
George McCallum 3
Annie McCallum 3

I think if this is the same family as the 1881 census there must be one of them mistranscribed. Have you found the older children in 1871 (if there are any in this family)?

In the 1881 census if William (senior)'s age is correct then it is unlikely that he was married in 1853.

If the 1871 census above is your family then I think you need the birth certificate for Annie on that census. At the moment, I am not convinced that the two census records show the same family - can anyone show me that they are?

EDIT

I have had a look on Scotlandspeople for a birth for Ann* M*Callum between 1867 and 1869 in Stirlingshire. There is only 1 and it is registered in Drymen not Balfron. I haven't enough credits left to look at the certificate to check the parents.

Aileen

Aileen Report 2 Aug 2009 12:33

I checked the birth for Annie suggested by rootgatherer and she is the daughter of William and Isabella....month and year of marriage are the same but place is given as Denny

Aileen

Aileen Report 2 Aug 2009 12:54

1892 MCLAREN ISABELLA MCCALLUM F 58 DRYMEN /STIRLING 477/00 0007

Isabella McLaren McCallum married to William McCallum died aged 58 15/02/1892 at ?Gartuess Road, Drymen...daughter of William (Horn Spoon Maker) and Betsy McLaren ms Stewart..... cert signed by George McCallum (son)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 2 Aug 2009 22:46

Well done Aileen - it certainly looks as though they were married. Just William's age (if the census are correct!!) gives some concern as he would only have been 12???

I wonder where the other children were in 1871 - there is something not quite fitting here. Does anyone else agree?

Next question - did it give an occupation for William on Isabella's death certificate?

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 3 Aug 2009 10:42

This is what I cannot understand Why are the Children not listed with them in 1871? And why is there only Two Children listed with them in Denny? If they were lodgers in the house in Denny does this mean that they could have only been staying there for a short time or could they have been living at the house Long Term?

Is it possible for children to be married at such a young age?

I don't know what it is with Drymen but there seems to be a lot of McCallum Familys living in that area!! Every time i do a search on Scotlands people there seems to be a lot of McCallums with the same first names and also nearly same dates of Birth give or take a few months. There is even McCallums with the same birth years and same firdt names.