Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1947 ADOPTED SISTER WILLESDEN AREA

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 5 Jan 2009 20:38

Am still desperately trying to find my sister who was adopted, she was born on 30th May 1947 in Middlesex Central Hospital Surname McCullough, in the Willesden area, several years after my sister was born, our mother moved back to Northern Ireland, where I was born,so effectively my sister does not know that I exist. Our mother died leaving me nothing to go on by way of what happened to my sister, all I know is that she was adopted.

I have been on here many times and somany kind people have helped, sadly to date nothing has pointed me in the right direction, I did thinkI was almost there, but it seems that for every door that opens, two close behind it!

As I live in Northern Ireland it is very frustrating that all I can do is make phone calls and continually get redirected.
Has anyone anyone out there experience of this? and what is my best way forward? I have even thought of putting an advert in a newspaper but her surname is bound to have changed so unless she had seen her adopted certificate and knew her birthname Geraldine, I dont know if it would be of any help, I thought even to highlight her date of birth,surely someone may recognise a member of there family sharing this birthday?

Any info on this would be great,,

THIS IS AN UPDATE ON AN EXISTING THREAD

John

Sleepy

Sleepy Report 6 Jan 2009 20:37

Hi John

My sister was adopted and it was very difficult to trace her over many years, but my sister was adopted in the 1960's, but I had vague memories of what my Mum had told me so I was a bit more luckier, siblings and their parents were were not allowed to trace adoptees then but that law has changed now, so back in the late 1980's my sister traced us to the UK where we live but my sister is in Australia,. When I was trying to trace my sister I approached the Salvation Army as I had an idea when I was smaller that my sister was possibly in Australia but I think her adoptive mother must have put a block on it as my sister is quite younger than me, but now we have found each other it is really great. I think on one of these threads their is a website of an Adoption Agency, but I don't know the websites address off hand. Hope you do find her good luck.

Best Wishes

Darkie

Sleepy

Sleepy Report 6 Jan 2009 20:49

n

Annette

Annette Report 6 Jan 2009 22:46

My heart really goes out to you John as I know just how emotionally frustrating the search can be. We eventually found out that my husband was adopted through Barnardos and they have been absolutely wonderful in their help and support. It took us 11 years to find his sister and that was because we had registered our interest in finding her through Barnardos. 11 years later his sister who was also adopted decided that she would try and trace her mother and that is when she found she had a brother. I cannot tell you the joy we felt when the letter came through saying that she was trying to contact us. We have now been able to contact a further brother who we did not know about and are hopefully waiting to hear that he would like contact. None of the children knew the others existed. John dont give up hope because when you eventually find her, and you will, it will be one of the happiest days of your life. Have you registered your interests in all the adoption agencies that would have been around the area she was born? If there is anything at all I can do to help you please let me know as I know how much this means to you and how it can take your life over. Try Barnardos John if you havent already done so. Good luck in your search John and dont give up

John

John Report 8 Jan 2009 19:42

Hi Annette,

thankyou for your kind words of support, I dont think I will ever give up, my social worker at this side of the pond is also doing what she can, but it is not easy as my sister was adopted in England, records are different than over here. Also if my sister never new she was adopted she wouldn't be looking for another family. Or it may be that she has chosen not to go searching.

Regards John

John

John Report 10 Jan 2009 10:17

MAIN THREAD ON TTF BOARD

John

Annette

Annette Report 11 Jan 2009 14:54

Hi John
My husband's sister knew she was adopted but did not know she had siblings and it was not until her adopted mother died that she thought she would, out of curiosity, have a look at her adoption records and there is where she found she had 2 brothers, so dont give up. If your sister has married she would have needed her birth certificate which would show that she was adopted and may rouse her curiosity.

I know how you are feeling my mum comes from Dublin and I have having huge problems in tracing her family but I am still battling forward although sometimes it does not seem like it.
Regards Annette

John

John Report 11 Jan 2009 22:59

Hi Annette,

never realised about the marriage certificate, her needing it, so will just keep looking,

Thanks again
John

Linda

Linda Report 2 Feb 2009 20:53

N
I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS THREAD OUT OF INTEREST FOR SOME TIME AND BOOKMARKED IT....ONLY TO FIND IT HAD DISAPPEARED....THERE WERE OVER 130 POSTINGS ON THIS SUBJECT....WHATS HAPPENED TO IT, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY IT HAS GONE?

Sheila

Sheila Report 2 Feb 2009 21:52

Hi Linda,

The main thread for this is on the TTF board, John your sister would not have needed the full version of her certificate, when I married I used the short version of the cert, and this says nothing about adoption. the only give away being it details are taken from the Regstrar General, Somerset House.

John

John Report 3 Feb 2009 20:36

This thread had main one on the TFF Board but for some reason it was removed, I will begin new one with same topic tonight, so do keep watching. my surname is McCullough, just incase it vanishes again!

Regards to all helping inthe search for my sister

John

Sallie

Sallie Report 3 Mar 2009 01:26

I know the main thread is on TTF.
An extra nudge for luck, for both John and his cousin.

Debbie

Debbie Report 3 Mar 2009 11:20

Nudge

Sallie

Sallie Report 3 Mar 2009 11:33

A good morning nudge.

Sallie

Sallie Report 4 Mar 2009 01:32

A very late nudge, John!

Sallie

Sallie Report 5 Mar 2009 01:30

Please also look on John's main thread on
the Trying to find Board.

disha

disha Report 5 Mar 2009 21:45

If you know hte area or district your sister lived as a child you could try the local newspaper in that area , they usually have family history columns and someone local may know of her

Sallie

Sallie Report 5 Mar 2009 21:47

A very good luck nudge.

Sallie

Sallie Report 6 Mar 2009 01:37

Time for bed nudge.

Irish Gel

Irish Gel Report 6 Mar 2009 22:19

I hope im not repeating what someone has said before...have you tried "yours" magazine they have a seeking column. wishing you good fortune in your search.xx