Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

re william morgan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Oct 2009 04:59

Still trying to find william Morgan. Came to Australia 1850c Married Jane Tannahill . I have his parents as William Morgan & Mary Wayne, Cambridge

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Oct 2009 05:09

have you any idea when he was born?

eg, how old was he when he married Jane?

sylvia

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 16 Oct 2009 08:07

Dear Patricia,

William Morgan married Jane Tannahill 1865 in Victoria, Australia. (Reg No. 2098)

Child of William and Jane:
William Richard Morgan b 1858 Creswick Creek, Victoria (Reg No 19732) (It would appear the William Jnr was born out of wedlock)

William Richard Morgan married Sarah George 1880, Victoria Australia (Reg No 3987)
Children from this union
Percival Lionel b 1881 Creswick, Victoria (Reg No 15590)
Thomas William 1883 Creswick, Victoria (Reg No 8442)
Horace George 1885 Fitzroy, Victoria (Reg No 17648)
Lynda May 1888 Fitzroy, Victoria (Reg No 11282)

Hope this information is of some assistance to you.

Regards
Vanessa

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 16 Oct 2009 08:24

Patricia,

Further to the information above, William Morgan died 1873 Victoria Australia (Reg No 3768), exact location unknown. Gives birth birth place as Cambridge, UK and parents as William Morgan and Mary Wayne.

regards
Vanessa
Victoria, Australia

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Oct 2009 09:32

Could this be the family in England?

1891 England Census
about William Morgan
Name: William Morgan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary A
Where born: Cambridgeshire, England

Civil parish: Ashton Under Lyne
Ecclesiastical parish: St George
Town: Mossley
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Ashton Under Lyne
Sub-registration district: Hartshead
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William Morgan 55
Mary A Morgan 59
Selina Morgan 34
William Morgan 27
Charles Morgan 24
Herbert Morgan 24
Arthur Morgan 17
Albert Morgan 15
Ethel Morgan 9
Eliza Branford 21

NOT THIS FAMILY AS THEY MARRIED 1856 AND THE WIFES MAIDEN IS CROXFORD

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 16 Oct 2009 10:03

Patricia,

I forgot to add the William was aged 43 years when he died so that would make him born c 1830.

Vanessa

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Oct 2009 10:39

If he went with his parents to OZ in 1850 or before then they would'nt be on the census for 1851. I can't find any William Morgan with parents William and Mary. No marriage for William and Mary Wayne on IGI either. Only one Christening for a William Morgan in Cambs and his birth in 1828.

WILLIAM Pedigree
Male

Birth: 12 NOV 1828 Sutton, Cambridge, England

Christening: 05 DEC 1830 Sutton, Cambridge, England

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM MORGAN Family
Mother: SUSAN

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record
On submitted record it says Susannah or Susan Brashewr not Mary Wayne.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Oct 2009 18:33

Vanessa said:-

Patricia,

Further to the information above, William Morgan died 1873 Victoria Australia (Reg No 3768), exact location unknown. Gives birth birth place as Cambridge, UK and parents as William Morgan and Mary Wayne.

regards
Vanessa
Victoria, Australia

Of course, the information on any death certificate is only what the INFORMANT knows ........ and may well not be true

This means we may be following a wild goose trail

He could have been an illegitimate child who just made up the name of a father ............. becuase it sounds better

He could even have forgotten the true name of mother or father, and used the names William Morgan and/or Mary Warne

He may not have known the name of either parent.

He may have changed his name on arriving in Australia

The informant may have remembered what he/she was told incorrectly.

I'm saying all this because it just seems so impossible to find either the person or his parents

Have you found how he got to Australia?

Was he an assisted immigrant, transported, unassistd immigrant?

sylvia

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 16 Oct 2009 23:06

Patricia

All information passed on to you was obtain from the BMD, Victoria Australia records for that era, so is correct as far as they are concerned. Information is only as good as the person providing it at the time of event.

Vanessa

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2009 01:38

Vanessa

I wasn't suggesting that you were passing on incorrec t information!

I was trying to point out to Patricia that the information on official documents can be wrong.

Has anyone had a response from Patricia?

Or should I send her a pm to tell her how to find this thread?

sylvia

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 17 Oct 2009 06:48

Sylvia,

I sent her a PM but as yet no response.

My last response was not directed at you, sorry if that is what it seemed. It was actually supporting what you had said in relation to information provided by friends, family etc.

Regards
Vanessa

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Oct 2009 01:32

Hi Sylvia'

Thanks for your answer. Sorry to be so long replying as I am unused to this. I have had a note from Cynthia explaining what to do so Hopfully I.m OK now.

I think his birth would be about 1830. His age on his marriage certificate to Jane was 38 years. Can't find him coming into Australia but know he was here about 1850 but it could have been earlier.

Patricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Oct 2009 01:45

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks you for your information. I was unsure about replying but think I am on the right track now.

I have the certificates you mentioned and some other information for when he was here . So we have the same William Morgan.

My problem is finding his coming into Australia and confirming that the information on his marriage certificate is correct for his parents and that he was born in Cambridge. Thomas who you mention as one of William Richards sons is my Grandfather but because of circumstances I had no contact with the Morgan family and I am now trying to find out what I can.

Regards Patricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Oct 2009 01:51

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your reply re William Morgan. I have looked at the information you sent previously and Don't think he is the one.

It seems very hard to find anything about him in Cambridge.

I am just learning about this so hopw I am on the right track now.

Regards OPatricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Oct 2009 02:02

Hi Sylvia,

I am inclined to agree with what you are saying about some of the information on certificates being incorrect.

I am going by the Marriage certificate as I thought that was the most likely to be correct. However you could be right about him changing his name. As he has signed this certificate it would appear that he was literate whereas Jane just made her mark.

Also some of the information I have says he was a Welsh Coach Painter. so maybe I should be searching Wales. Apparently accents were very confusing then. It was also Gold Rush time and a lot of information was over looked.

If you think of anything else I would appreciate it.

Thanks again Patricia

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Oct 2009 12:23

Hi Narnie,

Yes I do have a copy of his Death Certificate. He is buried at Creswick Victoria.

Patricia