Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where was Alice born ?????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 May 2010 14:41

Hi to everyone who may be able to help.
My neighbour was adopted at 6mths and would like to know more about herself. She sent for her original birth cert some time ago. On her birth cert it says Alice Marie Morgan b March 1936 Paddington. Her mothers name is Mair Morgan and she was a waitress( unmarried). Thats all she knows She was given another birth cert after her adoption and her name was changed to Barbara ??( I do not know her adopted name). What she would like to know is where in Paddington she was born if it was an unmarried mothers home/workhouse etc any infomation anyone could help with would be great. Not having much to go on I really do not know where to start. I do hope someone could help me with this she would be so very gratefull. Any info would be helpfull no matter how small.

Many thanks in advance

Sandra.

Julie

Julie Report 7 May 2010 14:43

There is St Mary Hospital in Paddington

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 7 May 2010 14:47

There would have been an address on the birth certificate in column 1 (when and where born) which would be a good place to start researching.

Column 7 is for the name and address of the informant of the birth - if your friend was born in an unmarried mothers home/workhouse the address of the informant may be another clue to finding our more if is different from the address in column 1.

You could then look on the electoral roll for that year to see who was living there?

Could you ask her for that information and get back to us? If it was a hospital/workhouse the address may show up on the 1911 census.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 May 2010 14:53

Hi,

She could also try the Salvation Army website as they have a family tracing service

Regards Jackie

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 May 2010 14:55

Many thanks for the replys.
She mislaid her original birth cert when she moved into her house last year all we have to go on is what she can remember. I know it isn't much that's why I though maybe someone may be able to help.

Many thanks
Sandra.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 May 2010 15:08

Has she been in touch with Social Services about getting access to her adoption file? I know younger people can see their files when they are 18 but I'm not sure how long ago they kept these from.

Kath. x

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 May 2010 15:23

Thanks everyone for getting back to me..

I don't think she has been in touch with social services, if she had I think she would have said. To be honest she hasn't had anyone to help her before. That's why I thought I would give it a go.

Thanks all for your help

Sandra.