Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Uncle George in South Africa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 31 May 2010 20:38

My Uncle George emigrated from England to NZ and then NZ to South Africa. Married Florence and they had two children. He was born in 1902 in Bradford Yorkshire, son of George Morgan and Sarah Jane Longand died in the early 1960s. Am trying to locate relatives of his or someone who knows what became of him and his family.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 31 May 2010 21:56

1911 census - household transcription
Person: MORGAN, George
Address: 40 Almond St Bradford

LONG, Rose Hannah Head Widow F 70 1841 Burnley Lancashire VIEW
STEVENS, Rose Hannah Granddaughter Single F 20 1891 Factory Girl Bradford Yorkshire VIEW
MORGAN, Sarah Jane Daughter Married
12 years F 32 1879 Servant Bradford Yorkshire VIEW
MORGAN, Henry Grandson M 11 1900 School Bradford Yorkshire VIEW
MORGAN, George Grandson M 9 1902 School Bradford Yorkshire VIEW
MORGAN, William Grandson M 7 1904 School Bradford Yorkshire VIEW
MORGAN, Ivy Granddaughter F 4 1907 Bradford Yorkshire VIEW
MORGAN, Arthur Grandson M 1 1910 Bradford Yorkshire

Vicci

Vicci Report 31 May 2010 22:15

please give more info about when he migrated to NZ and then to South Africa.

where did he marry , did the children move to South Africa or stay in NZ?
their names??

William

William Report 1 Jun 2010 15:50

Many thanks for coming back.I will try sending this again. Managed to lose the last draft.

The only date I have is linked to the fact that my mother (Daisy - his youngest sister) was 6 when they arrived in NZ. That would place it around 1920. No luck tracing their passage.

Suspect George went on to SA in the 1920s from NZ and believe he married Florence (unknown) there and they had two children - a son and daughter (not sure what order).

We had a visit from George around 1960 and I believe he passed away not that long after (around 1962/3). There is a family photo of him leading around a horse in the parade ring and that was taken in Durban. But that may have been the race venue rather than where he lived.

All the information I have I'm afraid.
Regards
Bill

William

William Report 1 Jun 2010 15:51

Many thanks for the census information. Will update my family tree. My mother was born 2 children later in 1914.

Kind regards
Bill

Vicci

Vicci Report 2 Jun 2010 01:33

This looks like the visit you mention in 1960, unfortunately no other info than below

George Morgan
Port of Departure: Cape Town, South Africa
Arrival Date: 25 Nov 1960
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban and Madeira
Ship Name: Windsor Castle
Search Ship Database: View the 'Windsor Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company Ltd
Official Number: 9765/01

Vicci

Vicci Report 2 Jun 2010 01:40

parents
Marriages Mar 1899 (>99%)

Long Sarah Jane Bradford, Y. 9b 46
Morgan George Bradford, Y. 9b 46

William

William Report 2 Jun 2010 06:25

Victoria

Amazing. Thank you for this information. I will look at the ship database. Thank you
Bill