Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Claire McConnell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 1 Mar 2006 16:38

Hi I'm looking for anyone related to Sir Henry Morgan as I'm told I'm related to him on my grandads mother side of the family.I would be interested to see if in fact I'm related to him.He lived in the time of Charles the 1st and was knighted by the said king.Also he was a pirate/buccaneer and is pretty famous in seafaring.I think he came from Wales

David

David Report 27 Nov 2007 19:17

Hi Claire

How did you get on with your search? It has long been been rumoured that my family have connections to the Morgans of Tredegar and Llanrhymney. I remember aged great aunts fussing over my nose when I was child; apparently a true Morgan. All conjecture and not evidence. There is a fairly new bookout by a Terry Breverton - Admiral Sir Henry Morgan. Very well researched it debunks some of the rumours about Henry Morgan, the other book to read is Harry Morgan's way by Dudley Pope. It is back in print although getting a copy is difficult. Original 1970 copies sell for >£130! It is rather dry and heavy going but quite well researched it does miss quite a bit as more recent research has brought a few things to light and a reanalysis of the effect of Esquemeling. Henry Morgan won the first historically recorded libel case (in the English courts at least) against Esquemeling late in his life. Unfortunately the damage was done and future authors relied on Esquemeling as a source, the fact he had sailed with Henry as 'biographer' being very persuasive.

I would be most interested if you have found anything.

ATB

John Morgan

[email protected]