Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frederick Nicholls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 20 Aug 2009 22:16

Hi, does anyone have a Frederick Nicholls on their family tree who was born around 1890-1895?? Possibly earlier?!! I know, VERY vague and I don't even have a definate place of birth.

He may have been born in Gloucestershire, Devon or Cornwall(!), his father was called William Henry Nicholls and was a House Builder, very likely dead by 1925. He also had a sister with the initial 'M' who married a Mr Hazel and lived in London in 1927.

Frederick may or may not have a middle name beginning with 'K' and was also a House Builder.

He was last known to be living in Plymouth at the outbreak of war. He would have been between 40-50. He had a family living in Exeter but I'm open to the possiblility he had another family.

I've found various possible births and matches on census returns but nothing definate. Would love to know what happened to him as he was my great grandfather and disappeared when my nan was 14, never to be seen again.

If anyone saw the Kim Catrall episode of WDYTYA, it may well have been a similar situation to hers.

Anyway, any leads, however loose will be gratefully received,
Many thanks,
Kelly

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Aug 2009 22:21

Poss marriage for sister M??

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1913 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hazell Frederick F Nicholls Brentford 3a 244
Nicholls Mabel Hazell Brentford 3a 244

Andy

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Aug 2009 22:22

May be a long shot, but how about this marriage for his sister?

Marriages Sep 1913 (>99%)

Hazell Frederick F Nicholls Brentford 3a 244
Nicholls Mabel Hazell Brentford 3a 244

Jan

Beat me to it!

Kelly

Kelly Report 20 Aug 2009 23:11

Hi, thanks but I already ordered that marriage cert and the father of Mabel was called George, not William Henry. He wasn't a builder/bricklayer either but worked on the railways...

Thanks anyway though - unless someone has a potential on their tree I don't see how I'm ever going to get to the bottom of this one!!

x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Aug 2009 00:03

Is this potential marriage too early?

Marriages Sep 1891
Hazell Albert Charles Norwich 4b 259
Laffline Caroline Norwich 4b 259
Nichols Mary Norwich 4b 259 S
Riley Charles William Norwich 4b 259

Jan

Kelly

Kelly Report 22 Aug 2009 17:08

Thanks, it's worth a look - I don't think anything can be too early since I don't really have much info at all!!

Thank you everyone x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Aug 2009 17:25

I wonder? Put in occupation of builder and other occupant william:

NICHOLLS FREDERICK CULLUM M 1894 17 Bodmin Cornwall

Head is not william though so treat with caution:

NICHOLLS JOSEPH M 1855 56 Bodmin Cornwall

Jan

Kelly

Kelly Report 23 Aug 2009 12:57

Hi Jan,

Thanks, yes did spot that one too! Plus, he signed a letter Frederick K Nicholls so I guess the Cullum, could be the 'K'?! I know, am grasping at straws!!

His father's name may not be correct anyway - Frederick was a nororious liar! Which is why this is probably an impssible investigation!

Another angle is that he was prosecuted in around 1938 at Exeter Courts, for desertion of his family and ordered to pay maintenance. I don't suppose criminal court records are available for such a recent date??! Thought it may give more personal details of him, i.e. date of birth, address etc...??!!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Aug 2009 17:40

Now then.
Put into search: surname nicholls
Head of household
occupation builder
other occupant Frederick

cross-checking everyone these came up:

NICHOLLS WILLIAM HENRY 1874 37 Shepton Mallet Somersetshire
NICHOLLS FREDERICK JAMES 1902 9 Shepton Mallet Somersetshire
ICHOLLS ELSIE MAY 1904 7 Shepton Mallet Somersetshire
NICHOLLS FLORENCE 1875 36 Shepton Mallet Somersetshire

Is this too young for Fred?

Jan

Kelly

Kelly Report 24 Aug 2009 08:00

Hi,

Yes, I think the year of birth is a little too late...

Marriage in 1925, age given '29'; therefore birth year of 1895/1896. But his wife gave her age as '21' when in actual fact she was 17. My nan remembers him as being much older than her mother and I think if an incorrect age was given, he would have made himself younger, not older.

I told you; this is impossible!!

Kelly