Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THOMAS JAMES NICHOLLS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deanne

Deanne Report 8 Sep 2009 04:19

My great grandfather was born c.1848. He married Sarah Elizabeth Parker Plumridge at St Peter's Church, Hammersmith in 1867. According to the certificate his parents were Joseph and Ann [nee Smith] Nicholls. At that time his father was deceased. Thomas was in the British Army in India until the early 1880s. My grandmother and some of her brothers were born in India. It states on her birth certificate "under the command of the Northumberland Fusiliers."
After years of searching websites, National Archives etc, I have not been able to find Thomas James Nicholls birth record, service record or immigation record to Australia.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 8 Sep 2009 04:59

Dear Deanne,

Do you know which state in Australia your family settled in.

Vanessa

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Sep 2009 06:18

Deanne,

English marriage certificates don't state the mother's name. I assume you got her name from the Australian death cert?

Who were the witnesses?

Rose

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 8 Sep 2009 06:48

Hi Deanne,

is there a reason why you think they may have travelled out to Australia? Can you give an approximate time period or State that they may have arrived or travelled on to?

Cheers

Rachelle

Deanne

Deanne Report 9 Sep 2009 04:48

Many thanks to everyone who has replied to my query.

Thomas and his family settled in Queensland and have lots of descendents. Unfortunately, the older folk who would have had info have passed on. Quite a few of my cousins have hit brickwalls with their searching as well.

I must have been really lucky with the marriage certificate I got because it did include the bride and bridegrooms parents names.

I'll keep hunting.

Deanne