Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Rohast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Jul 2007 21:56

Trying to trace relatives in Nova Scotia - ?Halifax. She came to Scotland and was on the 1881 and 1891 census. She married a John Brierton. My Uncle Tommy (Thomas Robertson ) came to Halifax with his ship and all the relevant papers during WWII. Enroute back to Scotland his ship was torpedoed and he was lost at sea - with the papers! Her name could have been spelt Roast. I think she would have been born betwen 1825 and 1840

parky96

parky96 Report 25 Nov 2007 02:11

What was her christian name?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Nov 2007 04:20

Margaret -- are you in Nova Scotia? You say Tommy "came to" Halifax, so it sounds like you are.

I'm in Ontario, and could take a shot at this for you -- but as Angela says -- who are we talking about??

A woman with surname Roast or Rohast born between 1825 and 1840 ... who married a John Brierton ... and who was somehow related to Thomas Robertson a good couple of generations younger.

More info needed!!

The 1851 Canada census has these entries:

Name: Mathew Roast
Province: Nova Scotia
District: Halifax County
Sub-District: Halifax
Page: 48
Line: 9
Roll: M_3138
Schedule: I

Name: John Roast
Province: Nova Scotia
District: Halifax County
Sub-District: Halifax
Page: 48
Line: 10
Roll: M_3138
Schedule: I

-- They're heads of families and no personal details are given about other family members.

The 1901 census has scads of Roast-s in NS, no Rohast-s.