Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption and tracing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ariella

Ariella Report 28 May 2008 16:09

hi all..new to all of this.
i doubt i will find,or trace as limited info.
my father was born richard lee smith 3rd jan 1946 place of birth Royal Victoria Hospital Boscome Bournemouth
he was then adopted.
his mothers name Joan Smith..born approx 1916,as ive been told she would have been more likely 30years old in 1946..have no place of birth for her..
i would so dearly love to trace any information about her ,and would so much appreciate any tips in doing so..
i must also add what a lovely site this is,im going to be hooked..!
many thanks

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2008 16:27

There are a number of super sleuths on here for adoptions - you may want to add the word Adoption to your thread heading as that will attract those who can help you quicker.

Ariella

Ariella Report 28 May 2008 16:39

Thankyou so much..
told you im new here on this site..?

Heather

Heather Report 28 May 2008 16:53

Im sure you will get help :)

Potty

Potty Report 28 May 2008 16:58

Cut and paste this into your browser address bar
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=936968

It will bring up Joan Allan's thread - she help's adoptees.

Ariella

Ariella Report 28 May 2008 17:05

thankyou "POTTY"
will try and have a go,im not that good on computers..!

Ariella

Ariella Report 28 May 2008 17:09

i have just done that link it was last looked at in 2007..? so not sure if i have hit the wrong thread..?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 May 2008 17:22

Ariella,

I would suggest your father applying for any adoption records that may exsist on his adoption........if any often give a clearer picture on the birth mother.than a birth certificate..

Contact the Post Adoption dept Social Services in the area of his birth.which may prove helpful..

He has legal right to information from them....once the file is located....but only he as the adoptee can make the application,,

Ariella

Ariella Report 28 May 2008 17:34

kay thankyou...
my father done this in approx 1995 but not much info was passed on by them..so im not sure if the law has changed now and more info can be passed on?or if this is was all the info they really had at the time.
really want this to work out ,as my dad is so negative,said he will never find any info..he is quite hurt i think as at 62years old i think he feels and thinks it will never be sorted or info found.

Potty

Potty Report 28 May 2008 17:42

Joan gives both her email address and phone number on that thread - try emailing her.

Ariella

Ariella Report 28 May 2008 18:00

i have tried to email,its no longer working..
thankyou so much for your advice..
cant tell you how much it is all appreciated.

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 28 May 2008 18:15

Hi have you tried Bernice?She does adoption lookups the link to her thread is below.Good Luck!

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1023243

Ariella

Ariella Report 28 May 2008 18:36

michelle thankyou i will try...what a helpful bunch you are..do you all do this as a hobbie..?
would this lady charge me for the service..?im a bit thick to all this
sorry

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 May 2008 18:38

Ariella.hi,

I have sent you Joans site details,,,she is on holiday at the moment,,,,,

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 28 May 2008 19:06

No Bernice will not charge you.We all like to help here at Genes and we have people who have lookup threads especially for certain lookups whether they are Australian lookups,Irish,Adoption or 1841-1901 Census(which i have a thread for).And there are also lots of people who help daily on the boards with lookups.
Good luck with your search and remember we all happy to help.

Michelle

Heather

Heather Report 29 May 2008 11:46

When you start doing family research - that is ancestry - then check out tips board for the Tips for Newbies thread which gives you an overview and links etc.