Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smith family, 17 Martindale Rd. Custom House

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gloria

Gloria Report 30 May 2008 19:00

Hoping someone can help to find info. on this family. All I know is that Emily Smith was married to an A. Smith and they had a boy and a girl, (sorry no names). Emily died 10th Sept 1940 at Hallsville School Agate St. Custom House. Her 2 children survived and were taken to hospital. Their father was in the Navy or Mechant Navy.
My mother who is 86 attended the scene as she was an ambulance driver during the war. The baby girl was handed to my mum when pulled from the wreakage. Mum has never forgotten that baby girl and would love to know what happened to her and her brother. The little girl would now be in her late 60's.
Maybe someone out there has some information or maybe you lived in Martindale Road.
I know I maybe whistling in the dark, but will keep my fingers crossed.
Regards, Gloria

Tom

Tom Report 30 May 2008 21:45

This is such a moving tale.....good luck with it
X

Heather

Heather Report 30 May 2008 21:50

Gloria, I would have thought this would be the sort of thing a local paper would be more than happy to help you with.

ann

ann Report 31 May 2008 17:37

Gloria,My Smiths came from Tidal Basin which is at one end of Custom House.Will have to ask my dad if he has heard of this. Annie

ann

ann Report 31 May 2008 21:45

Asked my dad but he was not born until 1929.His gran lived in Tidal Basin and she was born in 1887 and was one of 14 Smiths.I have not got this far with my Smiths as they are so difficult. Annie

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 31 May 2008 22:49

Your relatives details are on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. My father was born in Custom House, in l9l3, and whilst serving in the Army WW2, had fourteen relatives killed in the Blitz. One entire family was killed, his cousin and cousin's wife and their three little daughters.
Liz

ann

ann Report 1 Jun 2008 10:23

Gloria,There was a child called Marigold age 3 that was a daughter of Emily.She also died.There was a baby called Rose Mary aged 3 months a baby of Emilys that also died.Emilys maiden name was Croft so i am heading down that road to see if it was my dads family. Annie

Gloria

Gloria Report 1 Jun 2008 14:24

Thanks to all of the above for your messages. I have been contacted by a lady from Newham Museum who was interested in the story. I would dearly love to give my mum more information on the baby girl pulled from the wreckage. Thanks once again.
Gloria