Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elijah Smith!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janene

Janene Report 7 Sep 2008 10:19

Trying to find any information on an Elijah Smith who was a romany gypsy and resided (I think) in Farnborough, Kent.
He had a daughter Amy Smith b1909 ( I think again) who was born in Farnborough Kent.
This is all I have and at a dead end and absolutely needing more info to add to my tree. (Amy was my grtgrandma and married Dennis Driscoll).
Please could somebody help.
Thank you.
Janene

Astra

Astra Report 7 Sep 2008 10:22

Possible birth
Trilly

Name: Elijah Smith
Year of Registration: 1882
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Dartford
County: Kent
Volume: 2a
Page: 434 (click

Janene

Janene Report 7 Sep 2008 10:27

Thank you very much for your help. How else would I find more info on Elijah and Amy????

Astra

Astra Report 7 Sep 2008 10:38

If we can find Amy's birth it will tell you on her certificate who her mother was. Then you can begin tracing backwards. If that is Elijah's birth above then that certificate will tell you who his parents were and you can trace backwards from there.
I can't find him on any census from 1891 onwards so he could have been travelling with his parents.
Trilly

Astra

Astra Report 7 Sep 2008 10:41

Amy??
Trilly

Name: Amy Primrose Smith
Year of Registration: 1909
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Hollingbourne
County: Kent
Volume: 2a
Page: 911 (click to see others on page)

Janene

Janene Report 7 Sep 2008 10:43

Thanks Trilly for all your help.
Much appreciated.
Janene

Astra

Astra Report 7 Sep 2008 10:49

Which year did Amy Marry?
Trilly

Janene

Janene Report 7 Sep 2008 11:57

Hi Trilly,

Just found Amy's date of birth 4 Aug 1909. Maybe she was born in Hollingbourne???
Not too sure of their date of marriage, she was 20 and Dennis was 19 (he was born 1908) so possibly 1929?
Help please.
Janene

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 7 Sep 2008 12:59

When did Amy die

Astra

Astra Report 8 Sep 2008 07:24

Found it!! Sorry didn't get on here yesterday.
Hope it helps you.
Trilly

Dennis Driscoll to Smith
Bromley Kent
July - September 1928
2a 1805

Janene

Janene Report 8 Sep 2008 13:50

Hi Trilly thanks so much, really appreciate all your help.
Not sure when either of them died. I know Dennis Driscoll died in Western Australia but unsure about Amy!
Do you know who their children were? I know there was Dennis Driscoll born 31/05/29. I think there was a William and definately a Kathleen?
Sorry about all these questions.....
Janene

Astra

Astra Report 9 Sep 2008 07:00

Hi Janene
I'm getting no returns at all for Driscolls in the Free BMD so you may have to do a search of the full birth registrations for a few years after 1928. I couldn't find the marriage registered in the free BMD either but found it in the full section so maybe that part of Kent just hasn't been transcribed into it yet. Having said that I've just done a quick scan through the full up to 1933 and found William F. Driscoll born Bromley Kent mothers maiden name Smith. Jan, Feb, Mar page 259 2a 951 but I will leave you to find any others.
Enjoy your search and let me know how you get on.
Trilly