Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 3 Oct 2008 15:19

I am in a muddle and hope someone can help me. I have a CHARLES SMITH born in 1837 who married Sophia Westropp (born 1838) in Stepney on 16.11.1858. That much is clear. I also have a CHARLES SMITH born in 1781 in Castle Hedingham, Essex who I THINK married a MARY Pentloe born 1785 . They married in 1806. But I have also found a CHARLES SMITH who was christened on 4 December 1807 in Castle Hedingham. I don't know who he married and was he the father of the Charles Smith born in 1837??? And was this Charles Smith born in 1807 the son of Charles Smith born 1781 and Mary Pentloe born in 1785 ? Many thanks to anyone who can help here !
Elizabeth

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Oct 2008 15:26

And here I was hoping you had *my* Charles Smith. ;)

Can you specify where you got all those names and dates from? The IGI?

It's very frustrating when one takes stuff as gospel only to find out many posts later that it came from "submitted" records in the IGI, which often aren't worth the pixels they're painted with, for instance.

I'm a bit boggled myself right now so won't dive in (mine was born in Hampshire in the 1890s), just wanted to suggest that some info about sources would make others happy.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 3 Oct 2008 16:16

Thanks for the reply. I got some information on the FAMILY SEARCH.org web site. I also have information from my cousin who has been researching the family tree for some time. I have a copy of the marriage certificate of Charles Smith born about 1837 and Sophia Westrop born about 1838 so I know they married in the Parish of Stepney in 1858.
Hoping to hear from someone.
Elizabeth

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 3 Oct 2008 16:18

Where was Charles (1837) born?

Was his father named Charles?

What was the father's occupation?

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 3 Oct 2008 16:21

Is this the right family in 1861?

Name: Charles Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Sophia
Where born: Sebbledingham, Essex, England (Sible Hedingham)

Civil Parish: Stepney
Ecclesiastical parish: Trinity
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: Mile End Old Town
Sub registration district: Mile End Old Town Eastern
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 68
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Smith 24
Charles Smith 4
Ellen Smith 2
Sophia Smith 23
Sophia Smith 3 Mo

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Oct 2008 16:29

Ah, so Charles' and Sophia's birthdates come from a census. This means it may not be accurate to say "born in 1838", for instance.

Heh. One of the rare exceptions. Her birth was registered in the first quarter of 1838, so her census age matches. Unless she was born in late 1837.

familysearch.org is where the International Genealogy Index is, but just getting info from there isn't always enough. Some of the info has no source cited: "submitted" records. And some of that is bogus. Someone has submitted an ancestor of mine as having married his mother.

I'd sing along with Ericthered here -- trace the line back using verifiable sources, and if there aren't any ... join the party. ;)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 3 Oct 2008 16:33

Thank you for the help. Charles Smith, born around 1837 in either Castle Hedingham or Sible Hedingham. His father was a bricklayer according to the marriage certificate. Is that any help ?
Elizabeth

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 3 Oct 2008 17:02

Yes, it helps.........but what was his forename?

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 3 Oct 2008 17:05

The IGI has hardly any info for Essex...........the authorities in the county refused access.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 3 Oct 2008 17:19

His name was also Charles Smith.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 4 Oct 2008 14:25

I have found a Charles Smith who was christened in Castle Hedingham on 4. 12. 1807 whose parents were Charles Smith born in Castle Hedingham in 1781 and Mary Pentloe born in Sible Hedington in 1785. But I DON'T know who this Charles Smith born in 1807 married and would very much like to find that out. He then had a son again called Charles Smith born in 1837 who married Sophia Westrop. My missing bit of information is who did Charles Smith born in 1807 marry ?? Can anyone help please?

Elizabeth