Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mabel Maud Beddoes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 7 Dec 2008 17:17

Hi
Can anyone help with this one...

These are the known facts:
On 31/08/1908 Mabel Maud Smith married Sydney Beddoes in Wollaston. The marriage cert records her father as being George Frederick Smith of 10 Firmstone St Wollaston.
Mabel Maud Beddoes died Q1 1969 aged 79.
The 1901 census has a Mabel Maud Moreton 11, niece of Jane 67 & John 73 Moreton. Mabel Moreton's birth is recorded Q3 1889, she would therefore be 79 at the time of Mabel Beddoes' death.

The problem:
I can find no further trace of Mabel Maud Smith. Whilst I would love her to be Mabel Moreton (much easier to trace than Smith) I have no idea how this can be confirmed?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any help much appreciated.
Regards

Tania

Tania Report 7 Dec 2008 17:40

1891 England Census
about Mabel M Smith
Name: Mabel M Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Fred K G
Mother's Name: Selina
Where born: Barton-Under-Needwood, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Barton Under Needwood
Ecclesiastical parish: St James
Town: Barton Under Needwood
County/Island: Staffordshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Burton Upon Trent
Sub registration district: Burton upon Trent
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Fred K G Smith 31 [reads frederick ][solicters clerk]
Selina Smith 29
Kate E W Smith 6
Sidney F Smith 4
Mabel M Smith 2
Edwin Watkin 31

just a possible. george could of changed name to frederick?????????????//

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 7 Dec 2008 17:41

Do you know which county Wollaston was in?

How old did it say she was on her marriage cert.?

What was her father's occupation on the marriage cert?

Dea

Dea Report 7 Dec 2008 17:44

What are ALL the other details from the marriage cert please? - names, ages, occupations, addresses, witnesses?????

Dea x

Tania

Tania Report 7 Dec 2008 17:44

no wrong 1 her middle name in margery...wollaston is staffordshire.

Astra

Astra Report 7 Dec 2008 17:49

There are three Wollastons. Northampton, Stafford and Warwicks. Just to confuse things.

Astra

Astra Report 7 Dec 2008 17:54

Mabel Maud Smith
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Stourbridge
County: Shropshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Worcestershire
Volume: 6c
Page: 254 (

Astra

Astra Report 7 Dec 2008 18:36

There is a Birth Reg. for a Mabel Maud Smith born in Ashbourne Derbyshire which I will paste up in a moment but this appears to be the family who have moved to Staffordshire. George the father is a Fish Dealer working from home. Selina, the mother was born in South Africa. As you haven't said what the Father's occupation is on the Marriage Cert it's dificult to know if we are heading in the right direction. Another move to Wollaston may have been possible before 1908.

Mabel Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: George
Mother's Name: Selina
Where born: Derbyshire, England

Civil Parish: Horninglow
Ecclesiastical parish: Burton upon Trent St Paul
County/Island: Staffordshire
Registration district: Burton upon Trent
Sub registration district: Burton upon Trent
ED, institution, or vessel: 27
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 142
Household Members: Name Age
Annie Marston 19
Beatrice Smith 13
George Smith 50
Joseph Smith 15
Mabel Smith 11
Richard Smith 8
Selina Smith 49

Astra

Astra Report 7 Dec 2008 18:39

Mabel Maud E Smith
Year of Registration: 1889
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Ashbourne
County: Derbyshire, Staffordshire
Volume: 7b
Page: 621

Nicola

Nicola Report 8 Dec 2008 17:24

Please accept my apologies for missing the detail:
George Frederick Smith's profession is given as "retired"
I don't have witness detail (the actual cert is held by a distant relative, I'll ask)
Mabel according to the marriage cert was 20 at time of marriage (31/8/1908) this does not agree with her death cert which puts her at 79 in Q1 1969.
Wollaston is Worcestershire.
I have a photograph of the wedding party, it shows "Chris" her younger brother, he appears around 10 yrs old - unfortunately everyone in the photograph has now died, there is no-one able to answer questions.
The only other clue is she (Mabel Maud) left a crystal bowl, upon which is inscribed the date 17/5/1940 - nothing more, the family have no idea what this date refers to. The family were not poor, it is likely / probable any census ref will show a servant.
I do appreciate the assistance given so far.
Many thanks
Nicola

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 8 Dec 2008 18:25

If Astra's 1901 is correct then perhaps the glass bowl with the date of 17.5.1940 is to celebrate her 50th birthday? This would of course make her 18 at the time of marriage not 20, but maybe...............this would fit in with the death details as well.

Nicola

Nicola Report 9 Dec 2008 16:45

Thanks, again for your time. Astras 1901 is close but doesn't quite fit, she died Q1 1969, if her birthday was 17/5 she'd have only been 78 making both death & marriage certs wrong.

Looking at it from the other end, does anyone know what happened to Mabel Maud Moreton? she was 11 in 1901 & at 10 Firmstone St Wollaston, Staffs.

who needs suduko when you have family trees?

Thanks again.
Nicola

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Dec 2008 16:59

The marriage and the death cert might agree depending on when her date of birth was.

If she was 20 on 31 August 1908 she could have been born anytime between 1 Sep 1887 and 30 Aug 1889.

Date of death (1st Quarter so let's plump for 2 Jan as an example). She could have been born anytime between 3 Jan 1889 and 1 Jan 1891.

Therefore possible date of birth could be anytime between 3 Jan 1889 and 30 Aug 1889. (Probably later than Jan as unlikely that death date would be right at the beginning of the quarter - but even so - it's likely her date of birth would have been in the middle or so of 1889.

Hope that helps a bit.

Jill

Nicola

Nicola Report 10 Dec 2008 18:15

Thanks Jill, need a little time to think that one through.

I agree she was likely born Q2 or 3 1889, making her age at death 79, but at time of marriage she was either 18 or 19, can't be 20, her 20th birthday would be 1909, probably 19 & age next birthday would be 20.

Does anyone have any info on Mabel Maud Moreton, her birth was registered Q3 1889 & in 1901 she was at 10 Firmstione St.

Regards

Nicola

Tania

Tania Report 11 Dec 2008 12:14

1891 census shows george ward as nephew but in 1881 hes grandson 2 james and jane[mary jane mees]..id think that james/jane are a bit old to be mabels uncle and aunty, maybe great uncle and aunty??????????///

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Jan 2009 20:57

Hi

the 1911 census has provided a little more.
George Frederick Smith was a retired decorator, in 1911 he is with his wife Jane Elizabeth & their son " Beavington Christopher George Smith" aged 10. Young Chris is on Mabels wedding photo, I'm happy this is the correct Smith family.

I remain convinced Mabel Maud "Smith" is in fact Mabel Maud Moreton born Q3 1889 in Stourbridge. Her father was Walter Moreton b c1870, a glass cutter who went on to marry Myra (nfd) c 1902. The 1911 census has them married 9 years with 4 daughters, Doris 7, Hilda 5, Myrtle 4 & Lucy 2.

I've checked all the census info to & including 1911, so please don't waste time searching there. However, does anyone have any detail on the descendants of Mabel Maud Moreton and or Beavington Christopher Smith?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Happy New Year!
Nicola

Nicola

Nicola Report 25 Jan 2009 16:01

Hi
I just thought I should let you know I've cracked this one. Thank you all for your help - much appreciated.

Mabel Maud Thatcher Moreton born 17/5/1889 (Crystal bowl was a birthday present!) to Jane Elizabeth Moreton, married John Thatcher (after Mabels birth!) John died Q4 1890 leaving Jane a widow. She then married George Frederick Smith, who took on young Mabel, hence when Mabel married Sydney Beddoes she used the name Mabel Smith!

The next challenge is to link Jane Elizabeth Moreton 1823c, to John Moreton 1828 or his wife Mary Jane Mees1834c. Any help on that would be much appreciated too.

Many thanks
Jane

Nicola

Nicola Report 3 Aug 2009 17:43

Hi everyone who follows these threads to the end.
I am pleased to confirm I have now traced Mabel Mauds family back to 1690, she was Mabel Maud Thatcher Moreton. All mysteries are now solved with regard that line.

Many thanks for all your help.
Regards
Nicola