Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wall street smethwick

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bernadine

Bernadine Report 12 Dec 2008 18:40

Does anyone know where Wall street Smethwick was in 1890. It is not there now, and there doesnt seem to be any record of it.
Does anyone have any ideas????
regards
Bernie

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Dec 2008 18:48

Google Maps shows a Wall Close in Smethwick. Any chance?

It is a small cul-de-sac, but it might once have been a through route, looking at the map. (Look at both map and satellite views.)

Stanley

Stanley Report 13 Dec 2008 12:21

if you mean French Walls it is off Rabone lane by the canal bridge on opposite side of road to the site of the old gas works

John

John Report 30 Mar 2010 20:28

i lived in smethwick for sixty years and i knew the area very well but i never came accross a wall street there is a wills street for better info. contact the old map library on smethwick high street

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Mar 2010 14:01

Where have you come across this? If on a census you might look at adjoining streets to get an approximate location.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Mar 2010 16:49

I was asking Bernadine - another Brummie I see!
jan

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Apr 2010 21:49

mmm. Bernadine posted this in 2008! Cx.

Bernadine

Bernadine Report 5 Apr 2010 09:18

Hello all.

For some reason I didnt get a notification when someone posted in 2008..lol

The road I asked for is on my grandfathers birth certificate. I have since had an explanation from the Birmingham history forum. It is the French Walls that people referred to in 1890. I did ask Smethwick library but they couldnt help with an exact location.Thanks to all who replied. and to Pat who kindly inboxed me to direct me to this thread.
Best Regards

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Apr 2010 09:26

Just a quick note Bernadine - in case you haven't realise you never get notified if someone posts on your threads, but have to go back and check. I think this might have been different in the past maybe?
Best of luck with all your research.
Regards
Jan

Bernadine

Bernadine Report 5 Apr 2010 14:12

Hi Brummie Jan

I used to get notified I,m sure. I have been so caught up with this smith family that I didnt think to look again once I hadnt received a reply close to the time I posted. It has, however, shook me up enough to look at all my other threads to see what replies I have received. Thanks to all for the reminders.
B