Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Daphne Lester Smith UPDATED

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Jan 2009 13:15

I am trying to find my Aunties Birth Mother.
My Auntie Patricia Frances Smith was born on the 21/03/1943 to Daphne Lester Smith. She was 17years old at the time of having my Auntie.
My Auntie was then adopted by my Grandad. My Auntie Patricia lives in Australia now and would love to find out some more information about any extended family she may have.

I am trying to find out whether she married or had any further children but I am drawing a blank. I have found out that the family came from Tendring Essex and Daphne's Parents were Lena Gerturde Lester and George R Smith.

I have applied for Daphne's birth Cert to see If that gives me any more to go on.

Anyone got any ideas any info would be great.
Thanks in advance
Sandra

Tania

Tania Report 13 Jan 2009 13:42

Births Jun 1925 (96%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smith Daphne L Lester Tendring 4a 1359

Tania

Tania Report 13 Jan 2009 13:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1917 (97%)

Lester Lena G Smith Tendring 4a 1359
Lynch Charles P Noyce Tendring 4a 1359
Noyce Emily A Lynch Tendring 4a 1359
Smith George R Lester Tendring 4a 1359

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Jan 2009 13:53

Thanks for the quick replies.
The info I really need is if Daphne Lester Smith Married and had further children and if she is still alive or not.
My Auntie would really like to know these details, But I am drawing a complete blank with the searches I have done.
Anyone any ideas?

Sandra

Tania

Tania Report 13 Jan 2009 13:54

1891 England Census
about Lona G Lester
Name: Lona G Lester
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Arthur
Mother's Name: Louisa C
Where born: Mistley, Essex, England

Civil Parish: Mistley
Town: Mistley
County/Island: Essex

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Tendring
Sub registration district: Manningtree
ED, institution, or vessel: 12
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Arthur Lester 33
Louisa C Lester 31
Arthur W Lester 4
Francis E Lester 3
Lona G Lester 6/12 [lena]
Charlotte Markham 78 [grandmother to head of house]

Tania

Tania Report 13 Jan 2009 13:55

Deaths Sep 1929 (94%)

Smith Lena 39 W.Ham 4a 220

Tania

Tania Report 13 Jan 2009 13:57

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
Birth, Marriage & Death
View Image
Name: Lena Gertrude Lester
Birth: Dec 1890 - Tendring, Essex

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Jan 2009 14:02

wow Tania you work quick!!!
any info on Daphne Lester Smith....I have her birth but mo marriage/children/death.

Thanks for all your help

Sandra

Tania

Tania Report 13 Jan 2009 14:36

no cant find anythink, but if u put a fresh thread on just for a marrige /death someone mite find somethink

~Whippet Lady~

~Whippet Lady~ Report 13 Jan 2009 14:37

Puzzled as to why you started another thread on this today when you started one yesterday on Trying to Find board???

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 13 Jan 2009 14:45

Well, you are welcome for all the work I did in your existing thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1116802

but I'm sorry, this is not how you do things. The board rules (they're linked when you compost a post) (edit - er, that's *compose* a post, heh) are: one post per topic. People here have now wasted time doing exactly what I did.

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Jan 2009 15:16

Sorry didn't know they appeared on both with just one entry.
So my appologies to everyone.
I am new to this and was just trying to get as much information for my auntie as I could.
If I had known I would not have done it......Im not that stupid......brain dead yes!!!

For all of you I have emailed all the info found by you all and myself to my auntie in Australia as any info for her is more than she has already.

So once again sorry for the mess up.... I have had my wrist slapped and won't do it again.

Sandra

Janet

Janet Report 13 Jan 2009 20:06

Have you tried to get details from the court that dealt with the adoption? Your Auntie in Australia can do this through a social worker. It may give the father's name or an address for the grandparents. Try writing to people in the street where she lived. They may remember older folk that are still living in that area.

Sandra

Sandra Report 13 Jan 2009 20:52

She has managed to get a copy of her birth cert and adoption cert from Essex Council. which I have copies of here. There is no father listed and the house no longer exists where she used to live. so we have drawn a blank. The address was Jubilee Terrace Colchester Rd Manningtree. Her place of work as a shop assistant is on the same road so she may have boarded with them. But not sure as it is not clear on the certificate whether that is her address or where she worked.

The search goes on

Thank you for your help

Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 25 Jan 2009 10:24

Well I have now received Daphne Lester Smiths birth Cert, info is as follows:
Dob 31st March 1925
Father George Robert Smith
Mother Lena Gertrude Smith Formally Lester
Address Colchester Rd Lawford
Reg Dist Tendring
Sub Dist Ardleigh in the county of Essex

I hve looked on the Death and Marriage records and can not find any thing.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Sandra

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 26 Jan 2009 18:37

Hi Sandra - re your PMs and new info etc --

Not sure whether you were able to check the 1984-2005 deaths index at Ancestry, so I did -- only one death listed for a Daphne born 31 March 1925, and that was Daphne Peggy White, so not your Daphne. Birthdates on death records aren't always accurate (a child might have thought a parent was a year older or younger than s/he really was, e.g.) but nothing comes up that looks like her.

Now, the Daphne Peggy White born 31 March 1925 did die in Essex, Southend on Sea district. But there were 6 births registered in 2nd quarter 1925 for the name Daphne P, so it's likely that death was one of those individuals.

Have you searched marriages (and deaths) by reading the original GRO index images? If she married after 1943, the entry won't likely be transcribed yet by FreeBMD. In a few weeks or months, the transcriptions for that period should be complete and an automated search might find something missed on a manual search.

Daphne was 17 in 1943, and might be a prime candidate for being a war bride, and leaving England after the war.

I had a look at civilian war deaths at
http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14
just in case, but there is no Daphne Smith listed.

If she herself emigrated before marrying, it could be very difficult to trace her.

http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
shows 3 Daphne Smiths born 1924 and 2 born 1927 as passengers from England 1943-1960. And that's not counting the "D"s.

The only things to suggest are to comb through the untranscribed GRO indexes for a marriage or death, and wait for the transcription so you can do the automated search, which you could do by given name/initial (and birth year, for deaths) alone, too, and something may turn up.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Jan 2009 21:23

Have you done, ...or asked for...an electoral lists search for the address where Daphne was living when the baby was born.? They are not available for the war years though.
Maybe she stayed there a while, ...although won't feature until over 21. If other SMITHs are living there, this may be a clue to other family members.

If the family still lived there and then Daphne 'disappears' after age 21, this might indicate a time of marriage.

Gwyn

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Feb 2009 17:17

n

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Feb 2009 17:29

Thanks for all the help.
I have manually searched some of the GRO for marriages/ deaths and as you say it is very time consuming and maybe as you say it will be automated soon and that will help.
I was hoping to have some info for my auntie for when she comes to visit us from Australia in May, so heres hoping I find something soon.
She has also contacted a TV Programme in Australia who find people so I have sent all the info everyone has found to her which may help them.
She is very appreciative of all your help and is still hopefull of finding out about her mother.

So once again thankyou very much.

Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Feb 2009 17:30

Hi Gwen
How do I access the electoral Roll

Sandra