Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Albert Edward smithc1880

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 19 Jan 2009 22:28

I Have just spent all my credit on the 1911 census and can not trace my great grandad, i think he died in the 1950's not sure but he had partner Florence Turner from Chesterfield who died in 1912 after november 03 1912 when my grandma Mable was born - not sure if they were married - not much help am i - sorry this side of my family always a bit of a mistery - would be very grateful if anyone can find anything out. Albert worked on the railways that is about as much as i know

cheers

Jill

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 19 Jan 2009 22:34

What details have you got? birth date place?

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 19 Jan 2009 22:35

Was 'Edward' his surname??????

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 19 Jan 2009 22:36

and was albert edwards surname turner and do you have any idea of his age at death and what area are we looking at please ?

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 19 Jan 2009 22:46

I'm going to bet SMITH!

Births Dec 1912
Smith Mabel Turner Chesterfield 7b 1480

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 19 Jan 2009 22:47

pm from jill
albert edward smith was his name, have no idea when albert was born prob around 1880 but florence died in 1912 he may have died in the 50's it is very hard work trying to get info out of my family about my nans mum and dad

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 19 Jan 2009 22:48

Deaths Mar 1914
Smith Florence 46 Chesterfield 7b 979

Looking good for Smith. ;)

Yup. There's this post, on the Smith "surname board"..

What you don't know because the site owner doesn't bother telling you, Jill, is that you see SMITH above your post when you write it, but when it shows up on the general Trying to Find board (which it also doesn't tell you will happen), we can't see the surname and have no way of tracking it back. Clever, eh? Keeps us on our toes.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 19 Jan 2009 22:49

Jill, you need to reply in the thread.

Click on the purple Reply button at the top, and a box will open for adding a post. When you've typed it, click the purple Submit button.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 19 Jan 2009 22:52

Go here:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk (click the red search)

and search for a marriage between Albert Smith and Florence Turner -- I searched 1890-1914.

There is only one possible, an Albert H Smith, Halifax 1911. (Until that date, who married whom is not indicated in the index.)

Looks like they didn't marry.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 19 Jan 2009 22:58

what evie didnt tell you was how to get back to your thread
on the left of this page is a box with" my threads" in it ,click on that and then follow her instructions and youll get here
also the submit button is under the message you write if you cant see it
hope that helps
vivienne

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 19 Jan 2009 22:59

Stroke of luck.

I searched the 1911 census for Albert Smith living in Chesterfield with a Florence in the household.

SMITH ALBERT EDWARD
dob 1871 age 40
Chesterfield Derbyshire

You'll need to buy credits to look at the household for details -- what you really want to know is his place of birth, so you can try to identify his birth at FreeBMD.

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

But you now know Albert's approx DOB.

edit -- I forgot you'd been into the 1911 already. How did you miss him?!

;)

jansmith

jansmith Report 19 Jan 2009 23:12

If thats Florence's death index then she was born about 1868.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 19 Jan 2009 23:38

Hmm, yes, an older mother if it's her.

I should have mentioned, it seeming likely that they were an older couple, that they may have married, but Florence may have been previously married so she would not have married as Turner.

Still don't see a possible marriage in Derbyshire.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 19 Jan 2009 23:45

This is likely the marriage-just one of the page numbers is off.

Marriages Dec 1912

TURNER Florence SMITH Chesterfield 7b 1733
Smith Albert E Turner Chesterfield 7b 1735

Maureen in NY

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 20 Jan 2009 00:24

well i hope jill sees all this hard work finding info as no reply either way yet
but good work evie and maureen

Jill

Jill Report 20 Jan 2009 08:00

thanx everyone for you hard work, i missed him on the 1911 census as i ran out of credits

thank you again everyone for such wonderful help

Jill

Jill

Jill Report 20 Jan 2009 10:04

message to vivienne, when the last message was posted by yourself i had gone to bed,

but i am very grateful to everyone who has take time to help me

thanks everyone

Jill