Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My great paternal grandmother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 26 Jan 2009 21:47

I am trying to locate the forename of my great grandmother. I know that her father, William Smith, was killed in 1902 by a fatal murder at Clough Hall gates in Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent. This led to the Hall being closed in 1906.

I don't know anything else about her apart from the fact that she married my great grandfather George Turner.

I have been led down the wrong track previously and had the wrong person completely.

What do I do to find her name out?

I know she gave birth to my grandad and his siblings. My grandfather was called Albert and his siblings were Arthur, George and Amos.

Please help!

Nicola Turner

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 26 Jan 2009 21:48

We need some dates.............when were the children born? And where?

Nicola

Nicola Report 26 Jan 2009 21:53

My grandfather Albert was born 31/03/1924. He married my grandmother Ethel Camm in 1946.

My great grandfather and grandmother lived at Napien Street in Kidsgrove.

I don't know any dates for my grandfathers siblings. I have searched for their names however, I can't find any record of them. My auntie recalls a possible sister named Ada, however, she doesn't know if Ada was married to one of the siblings.

I'm not certain yet as to the exact birth registry for my great grandfather either.

All the siblings were born in Kidsgrove.

Nicola

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 26 Jan 2009 21:57

Is this your grandfather?

Births Jun 1924 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turner Albert Smith Stoke T 6b 173

Nicola

Nicola Report 26 Jan 2009 21:59

Yeah...

That's my grandad. Just struggling to find his parents now! I know their names but not sure who is who!

Turner and Smith have got to be the most popular names to search ever!

Nicola

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 26 Jan 2009 22:00

If you are happy that the birth reg'n is correct....buy the cert.

It will tell you all you need to know about his parents

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jan 2009 22:01

Buy your grandfather's birth certificate and it will have his parent's full names on it.

Kath. x

Nicola

Nicola Report 26 Jan 2009 22:04

My auntie has got my grandfathers birth cert - the original one - and all it has got on it is his fathers name (George Turner) and his sex which is quite obviously, male (!), and his date of birth!

Not much help really.

Nicola

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jan 2009 22:05

That can't be a full birth certificate. I would order one with the reference Eric gave and it should have more information. The GRO reference wouldn't have his mother's maiden name on it if her name wasn't on the certificate.

Kath. x

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 26 Jan 2009 22:13

George Turner married Lily May Smith in 1905 in Wolstanton, Staffs

1915 Birth
TURNER George Smith Wolstanton 6b 215

Nicola

Nicola Report 5 Feb 2009 19:56

I've had my grandfather's (Albert Turner) birth cert through the post now. It tells me that:

Albert's mother was Lily May Smith
Albert's father was George Albert Turner
He lived at 12 Chapel Street, KIdsgrove, Stoke on Trent
His date of birth was 31/3/24

Where do I go now to find out who his siblings were?? And with very little information of his parents how do I find out who their parents were??

I need some help! Thanks, Nicola x

LesleyC

LesleyC Report 5 Feb 2009 20:02

Next to buy is the marriage certificate

Marriages Mar 1905
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMITH Lily May Wolstanton 6b 157
TURNER George Wolstanton 6b 157

Lesley

LesleyC

LesleyC Report 5 Feb 2009 20:06

1901 England Census
about Lily May Smith
Name: Lily May Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Kidsgrove, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Kidsgrove
Ecclesiastical parish: Kidsgrove St Thomas
Town: Kidsgrove
County/Island: Staffordshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Wolstanton
Sub registration district: Tunstall
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 79
Household Members: Name Age
William Smith 36
Elizabeth Smith 35
Amos Smith 16
Lily May Smith 14
Elsie Smith 10
Elizabeth Smith 7
George Smith 4
Harry Smith 3
Emma Smith 8 months

Funny that these live in Kidgrove too!! Not too funny as families did seem to stick together in those day.

Lesley

LesleyC

LesleyC Report 5 Feb 2009 20:16

Lily is on the 1911 census I suggest you buy some credits and have a look to be absolutely certain.

Lesley

Nicola

Nicola Report 5 Feb 2009 20:38

That's great! How would I go about finding out who the children of this couple were though?

I know my grandad had a brothers called Amos, George and Arthur. I can only find Arthur though and it appears I have the wrong one as it shows that he has the same date of birth as my grandad which isn't true!

It's sending me around in circles.

Nicola