Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JET48

JET48 Report 27 Jan 2009 16:02

Hi I am trying to find Thomas Smith wife Annie He was born 1851 Bristol she was born abt. 1857 in Upton I have no maiden name for her and dont know when they married. There may be children Elsie b.1894 and Bertha b.1898.
Joan

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 27 Jan 2009 16:08

Have you found them on the 1881 census?

FREE......www.familysearch.org

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 27 Jan 2009 16:11

Can't see a household with that composition in 1901, or Thomas with Annie in 1891.

Can you say where your info came from, and anything else you know about these people?

E.g., is it one of the daughters you are related to, and you're trying to establish their parentage ... ?

JET48

JET48 Report 27 Jan 2009 16:12

No I haven`t I have tried but no success

JET48

JET48 Report 27 Jan 2009 16:17

The info has come from Canada a guy has been helping me with my family over there and has asked me for help the only other info he knows is that they lived 24 lamb street Bristol. and that Annie died in 1918.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 27 Jan 2009 16:27

When did they live at the address you quote?

Which 'Upton' is Annie's birthplace?

With a name such as Smith, we need as much firm info as possible...........

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 27 Jan 2009 16:36

Must have been after 1881. ;)

Civil Parish: Bristol St Philip and Jacob Out
County/Island: Gloucestershire
Street address: 24 Lamb St Private House Uninhabited

That's the only census that is searchable by address.

Joan, you can search censuses yourself at Ancestry.co.uk -- you can't look at details, but you can do rudimentary searches by names and birth places and dates.

The question is, where did your contact get this information? For instance, are the children's birthdates from birth records, censuses, family records ...? You really need to get all that from him and pass it on.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 27 Jan 2009 16:44

You can also search the 1911 free for basic info.

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Searching for any Smith in Bristol living with Bertha Smith in the household, there is an Annie Smith born 1856.

Searching for Annie Smith born 1856 with Bertha, Elsie Smith in the household, the one result is:

SMITH ANNIE F 1856 55 Bristol Gloucestershire

Doing the same search for Thomas Smith, no birthdate, with Bertha, Elsie Smith in the household, there are no results.

So it would seem that Annie, mother of Bertha and Elsie, was a widow by 1911.

You can repeat the search, searching for

Bertha Smith with Annie, Elsie Smith in the household
Elsie Smith, with Annie, Bertha Smith in the household

to get their details. Their DOBs are 1901 and 1896 respectively, so this could be the household you're looking for.

JET48

JET48 Report 27 Jan 2009 16:48

Hi St. philip and Jacob have been mentioned also the first time he asked me to look he said Thomas was born 1861 I am wondering if he made a mistake when he e.mailed me today saying 1851

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 27 Jan 2009 16:50

When your contact gives you firm details, post them on here so that informed searches can be made........

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 27 Jan 2009 16:56

Yes, please ask him to be clear and accurate.

This is the only household for a Thomas 1861 with wife Annie in Bristol in 1901:

Thomas Smith 40
Annie Smith 39
Harriett Smith 18
Koma J Smith 16
Charles J Smith 14
Lottie C Smith 12
John Jame Smith 8

The main thing is -- what is his source??

JET48

JET48 Report 27 Jan 2009 17:23

Thanks a lot for your help like you say he needs to be more accurate with his details. Thanks again Joan