Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Pam Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 8 Mar 2009 21:04

I am trying to trace Pam Smith. I don't know her name before marriage as she was adopted, but her birth family were called Thorogood. In 1995 Pam lived in Reigate in Surrey with her husband and she appealed to a local Bedfordshire newspaper to help her find family members.

I have been searching for Pam for sometime without any luck. Can anyone help, or suggest something, as I've run out of ideas.

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 8 Mar 2009 21:10

is smith her married name?
do you know her husbands name?
have you tried back copies of the newspaper? from the newspaper or the local library?
what was the newspaper?
reigate surrey is not bedfordshire is this where her birth family are from?

Carol

Carol Report 8 Mar 2009 22:02

Smith is Pam's married name and I don't unfortunately know her husbands first name.
I have the newspaper cutting from 1995 but it doesn't give any more info and I tried contacting the paper but they were no help at all. The newspaper is local to me, which is in Bedfordshire and she was living in Reigate, but was apparently born in Bedford. I also contacted a Reigate paper asking if they could help me trace her, but they didn't respond to my request.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Mar 2009 22:10

Does the Regate paper have a letters page that you could write to?
A brief letter mentioning a few details and Pam's previous search might bring results.

Gwyn

Carol

Carol Report 8 Mar 2009 22:20

Thanks Gwynn, I've tried that as well. I really have run out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is that she may have moved since 1995, but I just hope someone might know her.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Mar 2009 22:28

Did the cutting give contact details for Pam, or was it to be through the paper?
They don't sound particulatly helpful. Our local paper has similar requests from time to time, with great success sometimes.

Gwyn

Sheila

Sheila Report 8 Mar 2009 23:22

Hi Carol,

May have something for you, but will pm the details to you., :O)

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 9 Mar 2009 08:06

thanks sheila waiting with bated breath before i put any more grey cells to work, let us know if there is any success?

Carol

Carol Report 10 Mar 2009 19:27

Thanks for all your help folks.

I have found Pam through another member.

Carol