Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 27 Apr 2009 05:14

My father was in the RAF in the 2nd ww and i'm trying to find any information about him. can only find army records. Can someone please tell me where to look for RAF records. Also is there a place that has records of the NAFFI. Thanks

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 27 Apr 2009 07:14

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Gee

Gee Report 27 Apr 2009 07:40

Sophee

Grumpy has given you a good link here. this is where I got my dads RAF records from. There are only a couple of simple forms to complete which you can download from the site and post off to RAF records office the address is on one of the forms.

You have to be next of kin and send a copy of your ID and your dads death certificate (If he is no longer with us) If your dad is alive he can send for them, free of charge I think. Also the widow can get them free too.

I paid £30 and it was well worth it. They came copied in full colour and now hang on the wall in my home.

You will also recieve a letter telling you how to claim his medals if he never recieved them.

It took about 6 weeks to process and I did not have any details about my dad. All I had was his DOB/name and that he was in the RAF WW11

good luck

Ginny x

Joan

Joan Report 27 Apr 2009 10:10

Hi Ginny and Grumpy.
Thanks so much for getting back to me with the info. Unfortunatly i do not have my Dads death certificate. is there another way round it?
Regards Joan

Heather

Heather Report 27 Apr 2009 10:12

I didnt need the death cert, I just signed a form saying I was next of kin. Of course, you could get your fathers death cert anyway but ....

Sadly, there wasnt very much on the information I received. I found a lot more in dads note books and demob pay book.

Joan

Joan Report 27 Apr 2009 11:04

Hi Heather Posi
Thanks for your reply.
All i would like to know is what, if any rank he had, and where he served. Will they be able to tell me things like that
Joan

Gee

Gee Report 27 Apr 2009 11:48

Yes it tells you all the places he was serving, if he got into trouble and the rank, next of kin, where he lived before and after the forces, what he did before joining up, medals and any training/quals he got.

It shows my dad in the 'clink' a couple of time for being late back from leave...naughty boy!

Ginny x

Heather

Heather Report 27 Apr 2009 12:52

Well, they normally require his number and his date/place of birth to be able to check up - do you have those? At least his birth details?

My dad was in Burma quite a lot of the time where they were infiltrating behind the Jap line so a lot of his stuff was not recorded as it was handled in a localised hush hush up way.

All I got on mine was his joining up details and next of kin details. I was hoping for more like the time he was in hospital with malaria and so on but there was nothing like that.

I think its luck of the draw whether you get a lot or very little.

I am very lucky in having his demob book which gave me much more including his COs character reference.

Joan

Joan Report 27 Apr 2009 13:35

Hi girls
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.I guess i'll just have to hope i get lucky. I do have Dads death info so i suppose thats a start
Keep your fingers crossed for me
Joan