Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kate Smith died 1940

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 10 May 2009 20:11

I am trying to find details of Kate Smith who was buried 3rd May 1940 in grave number 5388 in Wombwell Cemetery, Barnsley South Yorkshire.

The grave has no headstone so I can't find any further information.

However - she is buried with my great grandmother, Minnie Fowler, who was buried 21st April 1939.

I have no idea who Kate is or why she shares my relatives grave, and neither do any of my family. Any help?!!!

Pam

Pam Report 10 May 2009 20:51

Deaths for Kate Smith June Quarter 1940

Kate Smith 57 Norwich 4b 415
Kate Smith 51 Cockermouth 10b 1278
Kate Smith 77 Warrington 8c 291
Kate Smith 87 Newbury 2c 691
Kate Smith 55 Blaby 7a 92
Kate Smith 45 West Brmwhich 6b 1376
Kate Smith 48 Staincross 9c 615 (this one a possible ? Staincross is near Barnsley)

Michelle

Michelle Report 10 May 2009 21:02

Thanks Pam - Staincross is a sub-district of Barnsley. I don't have any other details or death certs for her as I don't even know who she is. I only know she shares a family grave as my I contacted Wombwell Cemetery to locate my gr grandmothers grave and they told me about Kate Smith also being buried there

Pam

Pam Report 10 May 2009 21:26

I think the Death certficate would be a good place to start. It should indicate whether or not she was married.

Michelle

Michelle Report 10 May 2009 22:59

Does anyone have access to Ancestory? I'm sure when I had credits on there and looked up my gr grandads death record that it gave his full DOB. I have paid full subscription on here so don't really want to be buying more credits - but I would appreciate it if someone with access could have a look for me.

Would the death record for a married woman give her name at birth, as well as DOB?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 May 2009 23:25

Date of birth and maiden name for a woman wasn't added to death certificates until 1969.

Kath. x

Michelle

Michelle Report 11 May 2009 00:19

thanks everyone. As it was the cemetery that gave me the info in the first place then I assumed that they would have told me everything possible. No idea if it was a family or public grave as my grandparents are no longer alive to ask.

Michelle

Michelle Report 12 May 2009 17:47

Thanks - I'll get back in touch with them.

Michelle

Michelle Report 29 May 2009 18:27

Update

The cemetery has been back in touch and told me that Kate Smith was living at the same address as my grandparents when she died.

I now have to figure out if she is a relative, in-law, or other

Pam

Pam Report 29 May 2009 23:00

Maybe the electoral roll for 1939/40 would help (library local to area) .

The death certificate should say wife of or widow of ...if Kate was married.