Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

applebum

applebum Report 30 Aug 2009 23:32

I am trying to find details of my fathers birth but cannot seem to find anything. Anthony John Smith born October 9th 1940. I may be out by a year or so but im sure it was 1940. He was born in Birmingham. I found what i thought was him and sent off for birth cert but then discovered it was not him. Can anybody help?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Aug 2009 23:35

Do you have his marriage certificate and so know his father's name?
With a common surname, this may be a useful checking point.

Gwyn

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Aug 2009 23:35

Several possibles 1938, 1940 and 1942

Do you know the maiden name of mother?

Smiley

Smiley Report 30 Aug 2009 23:36

There is only one for Birmingham in 1940, it is in the Dec quarter but I am assuming that is the one you have already, I have sent you a PM to see if the maiden name on your cert is the same as the one I can see on Ancestry

Sam

applebum

applebum Report 30 Aug 2009 23:38

His dad's name was Ralph Smith and i remember his mom being called Renee but dont know her maiden name or whether Renee was Irene but i am stuck!

applebum

applebum Report 30 Aug 2009 23:40

yes Sam, that is the one i ordered which turns out was not the right one. I am wondering if it is the correct year but when i attended my dads funeral the vicar said he was born in 1940...

applebum

applebum Report 30 Aug 2009 23:43

Hi Gwyn, my mother and father were never married but after their seperation my dad did get married to a woman called Penny but im not sure what year this was; i think it was the late 80's, i have been checking marriage records for this but no luck as yet.

Smiley

Smiley Report 30 Aug 2009 23:48

When did he die Sarah?

applebum

applebum Report 30 Aug 2009 23:48

i do not know his mothers maiden name! wish i did cuz i could get somewhre!!

applebum

applebum Report 30 Aug 2009 23:51

he died december 2006

applebum

applebum Report 31 Aug 2009 12:49

thanks for everyone's replies, i have now found what i was looking for. My dad was actually born in 1942 which is why i could not find him. I have now though! Thanks again x

Smiley

Smiley Report 31 Aug 2009 12:54

How did you solve the puzzle Sarah?

applebum

applebum Report 31 Aug 2009 14:57

I found my dads death certificate on another site; he was born 1942 so i guessed his parents married the year before his birth and so found their marriage record. Didnt go to bed til 3 this morning but its so addictive this family tracing thing!

Smiley

Smiley Report 31 Aug 2009 15:51

Good for you.... I certainly was not aware of a site that has 2006 deaths online.
I would be very interested to know which one

Regards
Sam

applebum

applebum Report 1 Sep 2009 22:33

www.findmypast.com, they have 2006 records which is how i found my dads death record x