Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smith 1901 census mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 20:55

Please can anyone help? I found my great-aunt Louise A Smith (born Wilts, Wroughton 1875) and her husband George B Smith, clothier, born Surrey, Ewell, aged 30 in the 1901 census at 210 White Post Lane, East Ham, Essex. Also there according to the transcript was daughter Olive M Smith aged 11, born Wimbledon. Now I know they did have a daughter Olive, but I don't think she would be 11 in 1901, possibly 11 months or maybe 1 year. So I looked at the original document but she wasn't there at all!! George and Louise are at the very bottom of the page, so was there another sheet with Olive's name on it?. If so, how can I get to see that?( I can't find any of the family in the 1911 census, except another daughter Jessie Eunice who was staying with her grandparents in Swindon). Also I know Olive and Jessie had a brother David but I can't find him at all; am getting nowhere with BMD either. - Wish they weren't called SMITH ! Any help would be much appreciated. Nicky

LiverBird1

LiverBird1 Report 15 Sep 2009 20:59

Looked on the next page for Olive and she is a daughter at the same address but it looks like her age is 1 with a tick next to it so it does also look like 11.

Cassy

LiverBird1

LiverBird1 Report 15 Sep 2009 21:04

1911 ??

HOUSEHOLD SMITH OLIVE F 1901 10 West Ham Essex

Cassy

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 21:06

Thank you both.
Andy - Where is 'Elham'? Somehow I don't think Olive ursula is my girl. I have found an Olive Maud Smith b. W.Ham (not Wimbledon) 4a392 oct-Dec 1899, which seems more likely.
Liverbird1 - Am I being stupid (don't answer that!!) - Where is the "next page"? Grateful for your help!! Nicky

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Sep 2009 21:08

I would have thought this is the birth:
Births Jun 1900 (>99%)
Smith Olive Margaret Kingston 2a 346

Lots of choices!!

Maureen

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 21:08

Yes I am stupid - I've just seen your note re clicking small arrows at the top. Thanks

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 21:20

I've been trying the arrows at the top of the page but it won't go on to the next page and I notice the page is marked 1/1 - but there obviously must have been a second page. Anyway, thanks for advice.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 15 Sep 2009 21:23

Nicky, are you viewing the census through GR credits? I believe they only allow you one page at a time.

Ozi.

LiverBird1

LiverBird1 Report 15 Sep 2009 21:24

Hi Nicky

I'm looking on ancestry, it's pg 27 out of 33, try the arrows on the top right of the pg. One night I don't have my stupid head on!

Cassy

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 21:32

Yes it must be because I am looking at 1901 via GR and presumably am not allowed to look at the next page. I don't subscribe to Ancestry.
Re the 1911 census - thanks to the person who suggested 'Olive 1901 aged 10 W.Ham Essex' - I tried her but wrong parents.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Sep 2009 21:35

Try looking for this person-should get you to Olive:
Name: Jessie J Cook
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Charles
Mother's Name: Louisa
Where born: Walworth, London, England
Civil parish: East Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: Forest Gate All Saints
Town: East Ham
County/Island: Essex
Registration district: West Ham
Sub-registration district: East Ham
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Household schedule number: 170
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Cook 31
Louisa Cook 30
Jessie J Cook 8
Gladys F Cook 3
Louise W B Cook 11 months
Bessie E Alden 29
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1596; Folio: 98; Page: 27.

Maureen

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Sep 2009 21:39

1911 Census ??
SMITH OLIVE MARGRET F 1900 11 Hartley Wintney Hampshire
SMITH DAVID BRIDGWATER M 1905 6 Hartley Wintney Hampshire
HOUSEHOLD SMITH GEORGE BRIDGWATER M 1871 40 Hartley Wintney Hampshire
HOUSEHOLD SMITH LOUIE ANNIE F 1877 34 Hartley Wintney Hampshire

Maureen

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 21:41

Maureen thank you - but my family are called SMITH, not Cook.
I did try looking under the address in 1911 but although there were lots of numbers in White Post Lane, there was no no.210 so I suspect the houses were renumbered between 1901 and 1911.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 15 Sep 2009 21:44

Um-my point was that Olive is on the same page as the COOK family,so if you find them,you'll see her!

Maureen
(nee SMITH)

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 21:44

But the Hartley Witney lot look possible - thanks, I'll see if I can find them and see if they tie up.

Nicky

Nicky Report 15 Sep 2009 21:54

YES !!!!!! Thank you all so VERY VERY much - that's definitely the family in Fleet in Hampshire , so that's where they were in 1911 - plus it's given me some very useful leads for finding the children in BMD.

jansmith

jansmith Report 15 Sep 2009 22:00

1901 she should be 1 the tick has made it look like another 1 beside her age of 1