Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any tips for tracing Smiths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jeb101

jeb101 Report 22 Oct 2009 19:32

I am trying to trace ancestors with the name Smith and and after ordering several certificates I am no further on . Does anyone have any tips ?

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 22 Oct 2009 19:37

hi do you have names and dates
maybe some of us can help

jeb101

jeb101 Report 22 Oct 2009 19:43

I have a George Whitehouse Smith born in Hull c1849/1850. On his marriage certificate his father's name is John and he was a sailmaker. I have George's 2 marriage certificates and his death certificate. I have also found him on the census records from 1871. I am unsure of his birth as I have 3 certificates for George Smith but there is no mention of the name Whitehouse, and all have the father's name as John, occupation , labourer. How do I know if I have right certificate ? It is his birth which is troubling me .

Mary

Mary Report 22 Oct 2009 20:06

Who did he marry and when.
Maryb

Mary

Mary Report 22 Oct 2009 22:09

Right i have been checking all evening and maybe you could contact this lady.
She was looking for george Whitehouse Smith who had Agness Smith 1885 40,back south Street hull on 1881 census.You have the same Agnes I see.
I come to the conclusion that John Smith the dad could have been born Hull 1811 or there abouts,anyway if you put John Smith 1811 in Hull a tree comes up with Belinda Nicholson.
I googled George Whitehouse Smith 1849 hull and I saw her request for info on what had happened to George ,but i don't know how long ago it was put on.

Maryb

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Oct 2009 17:07

Janine, assuming the witnesses on marriage certs offer no clues? Often family members.
Jan

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 23 Oct 2009 17:31

I think I would put my money on this one in 1851:

Name: George W Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relation: Son
> Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Sarah
Where born: Hull, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Sculcoates
County/Island: Yorkshire

John Smith 40 - occupation Sailor
Sarah Smith 42
John Smith 16
Mary Smith 14
Sarah A Smith 12
Jane Smith 10
Austaria Smith 8
George W Smith 1 Mo

Sailor who became sailmaker later in life?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 23 Oct 2009 17:39

This birth would go well with that George:

Births Mar 1851
Smith George John Hull 22 504

But I'm wondering whether that 1851 George might actually be the child of an older unmarried daughter of John and Sarah. In that case, a common pattern would be for Whitehouse to be his father's surname.