Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 18 Nov 2009 12:10

I have just received a marriage cert. for my grandfather James Smith b. 1858 in Flemington,Victoria,his parents were William Smith(Blacksmith) and Margaret McConnell?? Do not know anything about them or where they came from?? Can anyone help??
Regards, Sharon.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 18 Nov 2009 12:24

Hi Sharon.

This appears to be his birth registered in Flemington Melbourne, Victoria.

SMITH, James EB 1909932 Christening
Father: William
Mother: Margaret
Event Place: Flemington
Reg Year: 1858
Reg State: Victoria
Ref Number: 20026
Parish: St James Melbourne, CofE

Tony ( Melbourne Victoria )

Sharon

Sharon Report 18 Nov 2009 12:32

Hi Tony,
Thanks once again I can fill in another gap.
Sharon.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 18 Nov 2009 12:43

A possible sibling to James

SMITH, Andrew EB 1897097 Christening
Reg Year: 1857
Ref Number: 19612
Parish: St James Melbourne, CofE

Cant see a William SMITH marriage to a Margaret McCONNELL in Victoria at the moment.
Will check other States.

Might pay to purchase James birth cert...to confirm his mothers surname.

There are quite a few William SMITH marriages to a Margaret.

Two other ""possible"" births 1851....Parish:St James Melbourne, CofE.......and as the Ref No: numbers 17235 and 17236 they could be twins!!

SMITH, Catherine EB 1898985 Christening
Event Place: Melb
Reg Year: 1851
Ref Number: 17235 Parish: St James Melbourne, CofE

SMITH, Joseph EB 1912919 Christening
Event Place: Melb
Reg Year: 1851
Ref Number: 17236 Parish: St James Melbourne, CofE

Sharon

Sharon Report 18 Nov 2009 12:49

Hi Tony,
Margaret's last name is very hard to read even with the magnifying glass so took abit of a punt at it!! so could be something else?? Will have a look at getting the birth cert if I cant find out.
Sharon,

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 18 Nov 2009 13:15

Also another possible birth in Flemington, although it is also reg in 1858

Unfortunatley no given name to the child but possibly a Male ( M )

Mothers surname on index is McCORQUD....!!!!!

SMITH, M CB 1914533 Birth
Mother: Mccorqud Margaret
Reg Year: 1858
Ref Number: 629

Best to get the birth cert of your James.

Good luck...:>))

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 18 Nov 2009 16:11

I would suggest from my Scottish research that the name is most likely McCorqudale

Sharon

Sharon Report 18 Nov 2009 21:15

Hi Tony,
thanks once again will look on line tonight for birth certificate of James.
Off to work not lookong forward to the 40 odd degree heat today!!!!!!!
Thanks also to Gillian for the Scottish connection if this name is correct?
Regards, Sharon.

Sharon

Sharon Report 22 Nov 2009 04:11

Hi Tony,
Not having alot of luck here with James I did get a birth certificate I think for James because it was an unamed child born 27/12/1857 and also got a baptisim cert. reg 1858 where he is named James. There are two other siblings on the birth cert Sarah Jane & Andrew. I suppose that because I cannot make out Margaret's last name on the marrige cert of James Smith & Fanny Andrews it has left uncertainty!!! BIG TIME. Anyway The Margaret McCorquad I have on the birth cert. is from Derry and William is from Londonderry marrying in Donegal in 1853. Any way will try again at the Library tomorrow after work. Have you any other sugestions??? PLEASE

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 22 Nov 2009 08:31

Hi Sharon.

O'ooooo dont you just love these Irish names......McCorquad

I have what i thought was a common WALSH surname ancestor in Ireland...but soon discovered her name spelt in Australia, was found under WALSHE/WELSH/WELSHE/WELCH/..ect.

The surname "McCorquad" would most possibly have so many variations and soundex spellings.

I have found approx 12 possible variations on Aussie index's.

Unfortunatley the surname "McCorquad" itself dosent show up on Victoria Index's.

I have been looking for Margarets SMITH's Death..as it would/should list her children. I will keep searching for you, and if i find it i will post it

However.....It appears by finding the deaths of William and Margaret SMITH's children that you have....they, or i should say the Informant on all three......... are refering to their mothers surname as McCORKELL

Given James age at death 71 in 1929 would give him a birth c.1858 .....which would tie in with your James SMITH birth in Flemington.
Ascot Vale is next suburb to Flemington

Surname: SMITH
Given Names: James
Father: Smith
Mother: Margaret MCCORKELL
Death Place: A VALE ( Ascot Vale )
Age Code:
Year: 1929
Reg Number: 12820
Event: D

Given Andrew's age at death 84 in 1941 would give him a birth c.1857......which would tie in with your Andrew SMITH birth in Flemington.

Surname: SMITH
Given Names: Andw
Father: Smith Wm
Mother: Margt MCCORKELL
Death Place: CHAM ( could be Cheltenham )
Age Code:
Year: 1941
Reg Number: 3104

This looks like Sarah Jane ( their sister ) death in 1910..married a JEFFREY Gives her a birth c.1855..........so most likely why
both Andrew and Sarah Jane are listed on James SMITH birth cert...in 1858
On the odd occasion on a siblings birth cert. it shows the age/s of siblings already born, which may tie up with what i have found

Surname: JEFFREY
Given Names: Sarah Jane
Sex:
Spouse Surname/Father: Smith Wm
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Margt MCCORKELL
Age Code:
Birth Place:
Death Place: Hoth W ...... ( Hotham West ) West Melbourne
Year: 1910
Reg. Number: 9373

This appears to be Sarah's marriage in Melb.
SMITH, Sarah Jane CM 912743Marriage
Spouse: JEFFREY, William
Marriage Place: Melbourne
Reg Year: 1875
Ref Number: 1602

Just to add.
There are no other births in Victoria...( or any state in Australia for that matter )with a father William SMITH and Mother Margaret McCORKELL....except Sarah Jane

SMITH, Sarah Jane......CB 1920398 Birth
Mother: Mccorkell Margaret
Event Place: Prahran
Reg Year: 1855
Ref Number: 1198

Hope that helps a little for now.

Cheers.
Tony

Sharon

Sharon Report 22 Nov 2009 11:32

Hi Tony,
When your said about the spelling of the name McCorquad I remembered on the birth cert of James that Margaret put her mark meaning she couldn't write her own name?? It's funny how on the official documents(birth) they have her as McCorquad when I look again at James and Fanny's wedding cert. I can see McCorkell more clearly now. Any way a big THANKYOU once again Tony maybe one I can return the favour someday.
Regards, Sharon.

Sharon

Sharon Report 23 Nov 2009 21:33

Hi Tony,
Just wanting to ask you what is the best site to go to to get iinfo on Irish relatives I have tried family search but no luck and I find that some of the info on the site can be a bit doggy!! Now that I have a few of them it would be good to try and find a little more!! There's Irish on both the sides of the Smith's and Honan's
Regards, Sharon.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 24 Nov 2009 05:09

Hi Sharon.

Unfortunatley, when it comes to Ireland research, it is a little out of my depth. Myself, like many others..... i fumble around in the dark trying to find whats available on the net.

However, there is a link to a thread added by Janet.. "First Steps in Researching Irish Family History".......on "Tips board"

If you copy/paste this link ( below ) it should take you there.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=790437

Tony.

Sharon

Sharon Report 24 Nov 2009 08:41

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your help once again,I think I'll need to study this hard and try and fully digest all of it. I thought the Smith's were hard going they seem like a dream compared to the IRISH!!
Regards, Sharon.

(-: Carole & Tony ;-)

(-: Carole & Tony ;-) Report 15 Feb 2010 19:45

Hi Sharon,
just found your thread whilst looking through the smithwall board as i call it. but withregard to the Derry/Londonderry listings they are the same place depending on where your religious/political views lay The irish republicans tend to leave the london part off and just call it Derry, where as loyalists tend to keep it as Londonderry in deference to the british.
Tony. C.

Sharon

Sharon Report 17 Feb 2010 11:14

Dear Tony.C,
Thanks for this info every little bit helps!!! I have a few Irish relatives but haven't delved to far into this yet, bit scary! The Smithwall board as you call it, well how's this for fate my dad's mother was a Smith and she married a Smith!!!!!! Thanks once again
Sharon.

(-: Carole & Tony ;-)

(-: Carole & Tony ;-) Report 25 Feb 2010 14:34

Hi Sharon.
Wish you loads of luck with your Smith searches. The reason i call them a Smithwall is because it is like trying to climb a 40 foot brick wall at times,
I have similar problems myself with both sides of the family. My paternal grandmother was born a Smith, Her father married his cousin who's mother was a Smith, Then to add more problems one my paternal Grandfather's side his mother was related by marriage to another load of Smiths who appear to have originated in Essex, with part of the family migrating north to Malton, Marske & Guisborough all in North Yorks.
So have fun with the search, When you do decide to delve into the Irish roots Just drop the wife a line at [email protected] and we may be able to give you a bit of a hand as we have a contact in the Emerald Isle who can often find stuff we have trouble with, he has been great helping Carole trace info on her Irish Roots.
Regards Tony C

Sharon

Sharon Report 25 Feb 2010 21:12

Dear Carole & Tony,
Thanks for the words of encouragement looks light you have an even a greater wall to climb than me!!!! I'm moving house next week so everything is in a big muddle at the moment so once I get back on track I might take you up the offer of Irish research at some stage, I'm sure it will be fasinating!! Well good luck with your research and well speak soon.
Sharon.