Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mac

mac Report 31 Dec 2009 19:57

Hi all,
Not sure where to try, but I have a family of Robert Smith married to Mary Smith, with children Robert (b. Nov 1909) & Olive, born a couple of years earlier. They lived in Grange over sands (Lancashire) from 1924 according to the electoral roll. Olive first appeared on the roll in 1929 and Robert in 1931.

I've tried the 1911 census for the family in both UK & Ireland, but can't find the full family. Does anyone have any ideas what to to try next please?

Thanks & Happy New Year!
Julie

Mary

Mary Report 31 Dec 2009 20:16

1911 Robert born 1870 Lindale Lancs stone waller and mason
Mary born Eskdale cumberland
Albert 1894
Mary ann 1899
Eleanor 1902
Olive 1905
Robert 1910
Fern Cottage
Lindale
Grange-o-Sands

Maryb

mac

mac Report 31 Dec 2009 21:32

Hi Mary,

Don't know where you found this, but I think its the family i'm looking for! I think I've been trying to find parents in the wrong age range, I'd not found any older siblings on the limited electoral registers we have locally.

Many thanks, & Happy new year
Julie

Mary

Mary Report 1 Jan 2010 10:33

Your welcome Julie.

Maryb

mac

mac Report 2 Jan 2010 23:29

I just want to thank everyone (especially Mary) on GR for their help. I've not only found my birth mother, but 40+ relatives I never knew I had! Visited graves of my grandparents earlier today - in the snow - but it was worth it, I'm 55 years old and never knew I had a family until the last couple of weeks.

Thanks, I'm meeting my mother in January, for the first time!

Julie

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 2 Jan 2010 23:47

Julie.
How exciting for you. Im so pleased your birth mother wants to make contact. So often this isnt the case and then its a double rejection.

Hope all goes well for you both.I bet you are dying to see if there is a resemblance

mac

mac Report 2 Jan 2010 23:58

Don't think there will be after all these years, but who cares - she'll have white hair and mine is only grey!

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 3 Jan 2010 00:02

A couple more children?

William 1890
Doris 1898

Family living at Holly House , Lindale in 1901

Ann

mac

mac Report 3 Jan 2010 00:31

Oh god,

I think they are 2 more cousins I recognise the address, I'll have to check tomorrow - haven't got them before. It takes some getting used to, going from no history to having loads!!!

What a new year, Can't wait to be sober enough to track it through!

Thanks
Julie

Mary

Mary Report 3 Jan 2010 09:20

Hi Julie,what a lovely story to start the new year off.

Best wishes Maryb

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 4 Jan 2010 20:37

Hi again julie,

The two extra kids I sent you, well William appears on the 1891 census with Robert and Mary aged 21 & 20, he is recorded as "son" but his surname is recorded as MAWSON not Smith as in the later census.

Ann

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 4 Jan 2010 20:42

Julie,

Robert married Mary MAWSON in Ulverston March 1891 Quarter.

Ann

mac

mac Report 4 Jan 2010 21:29

Hi Ann,

I don't have a census subscription - could you give me the details of them from the 1891 & 1901 census please.

I found Robert Smith married Mary Mawson, they are my g.grandparents. They had another son Robert who was my grandfather, I've tracked down the details of other children - Olive, Albert, Mary Ann & Hartley Mawson Smith, but hadn't come across William or Doris (1898?) I had Mary Ann down for 1898 so maybe I've got the wrong birth.

Thanks for all this help.

Julie

mac

mac Report 4 Jan 2010 22:30

Hi Ann,

Forget my last request, just realised I can buy credits on findmypast, dont have to have a full subscription!

Julie

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 4 Jan 2010 23:18

Hi Julie,

If you still find you need a lookup please get in touch, had a quick look to double check Doris, she is recorded as 1898 and Mary Ann as 1899 on the 1901 census

Annx