Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

errors with birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 15 Jan 2010 14:34

Hi,
does anyone know the liklihood of an incorrect spelling on a birth certificate. Another member and I are trying to track down some info regarding the birth of a J Smith. I am not sure of the dob, however if her relation and mine are linked then there was a possible birth in june 1941 but mothers maiden name shows humphreys and my relation who may be his mother is Humphrey (no 's'). I am unable to give info on John as I do not know any.
Just wanted advise to see if anyone thinks it possible to make a mistake.
Going to work now so unable to check replies until tomorrow.
Thanks alot
Cheryl

Penny

Penny Report 15 Jan 2010 14:38

Easiest mistake in the world i'd say

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 15 Jan 2010 23:05

Thanks for your replies. That is what I thought.
We will have to keep digging.

Cheryl

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 15 Jan 2010 23:21

Did you check the actual GRO image to make sure it isn't an Ancestry/FreeBMD transcription error? (wherever you were looking at the record)

If you get the certificate it will give the mother's full name, will that not settle the question?

Have you checked for other Smith-HumphreyS births and for Smith-HumphreyS marriages in the same general time and place? If there are, it might be that the names are just coincidence.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 15 Jan 2010 23:26

And a partial answer to one question -- there are two Smith-Humphrey and two Smith-HumphreyS births in Loughbro' 1936-1941. !!

And the most absolutely amazing number of both Smith-Humphrey and Smith-HumphreyS marriages 1931-1941, but none in Loughbro' ...

Seems you need the certificate?

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 16 Jan 2010 12:31

Thanks for all your replies. I do not have access to either ancestry or GR full records at present only the freeBMD.
I actually wanted the birth of a child ( mothers name HUMPHREY) in Peterborough, but I could not find 1 in Peterborough . I am working with another GR member on this one and we are not sure if that is a link with us but is only about 50 miles away so may be. We know of a marriage between SMITH and HUMPHREY in 1937 and we know she seperated from him and went on to have 3 more children with someone else.
There is possibly a birth from the marriage between 1937 and 1941
Without getting the marriage cert we do not know her husbands middle name. The family stories from both sides lead us to believe we are correct

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Jan 2010 20:51

But you aren't stuck. What you do is obtain the birth/marriage certificate(s) for the birth(s)/marriage(s) that interest you. There's nothing anyone can do to get around that.

Once again I'm uncomfortable with the amount of personal information posted in this thread. People leaving their spouses and having children with other people ... does the child in question know they're being talked about here? The person or persons in question are likely still living, and I doubt that they'd want their family's laundry hanging out in public on the internet, and them finding it here via google or such is likely not the best way to meet anyway.

Since that info isn't going to help anyone help with your question, I would strongly suggest, and request, that you remove it from your post. You can use the "Edit" link in the lower left corner of the post.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 17 Jan 2010 10:24

Sorry Janey.

I am new to this and just got carried away in the moment. I will get the MC and go from there. I was just excited that mum in law could have a brother that she new nothing about.
I will try to be more careful in future.

Cheryl