Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aunt living in China

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 21 Mar 2010 05:37

Can anyone help with this
My great Aunt Isabella Smith born in Garston Lancashire in 1865?
Daughter of Joseph Smith Born 1832 Uttoxeter staffordshire & Isabella Smith.
According to my Mother, she married a water engineer (name unknown) who became manager of water installations of Peking.

She lived a very "luxurious " life. She had two daughters Florence and Mabel. One married a German & the other a Russian prior to the first world war. My Mother thinks she is buried in Bubbling Well Cemetery Peking. Which is now a park called Jingxan-park.

I would love to know who my Uncle was & what happened to his daughters

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 21 Mar 2010 11:16

just for ref 1881
Name: Isabella Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Joseph
Mother's Name: Isabella
Where born: Garston, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Kirkdale
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address: 46 Leison Street
Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: Kirkdale
ED, institution, or vessel: 26
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Smith 49
Isabella Smith 48
Joseph Smith 18
Isabella Smith 16
Alice Smith 13
Mary L. Smith 11
Henry Smith 6

unfortunately there are a lot of marriages for an Isabella Smith in West Derby reg district (the district that contains Garstan)

Anne

Anne Report 21 Mar 2010 11:22

Thanks your help
Unfortunately this is the only census ref I have found for her

Does anyone know if there are any Chinese company records?

Henry was my Grandfather and his father died soon after this and the family was dispersed. My Grandfather was brought up by his older sister Alice.
Anne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Mar 2010 23:39

Here she is on the 1871 Census

Note that this census says she was born in Manchester, but they are living in the parish of Garston, West Derby, Liverpool

1871 Census

Name: Isabella Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1865
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Joseph
Mother's Name: Isabella
Where born: Manchester
Civil parish: Garston
Ecclesiastical parish: St Micheal
Sub-registration district: Wavertree

Joseph Smith 39 b.ca 1832, Staffordshire, Foreman Omnibus Branch
Isabella Smith 38 b.ca 1833, Workington, Cumberland
Joseph Smith 8 b.ca 1863, Liverpool
Isabella Smith 6
Allie Smith 3 b.ca 1868, Garston, West Derby
Mary Louisa Smith 1 year, 5 months b.ca 1869, Garston
Mary Smith 82 b.ca 1789, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, Widow <<<< Doesn't say, but I wonder if she is Joseph's mother???
Henry Starkey 38 Boarder, born Belfast, Ireland

Address:- 14 Monar Street

sylvia

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 07:57

thanks Sylvia

I am finding my Smith family very difficult to find. Not only because they are "Smith" but because my Mother was very much the youngest child of a youngest child she did not know the family as her parents had moved south before she was born. Also, although I got her to write down what she knew, a lot of it is acquired memory and she knew no surnames of married aunts, as was normal then.

Anne.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 22 Mar 2010 11:14

Anne how frustrating for you. I can see how you would find the story of the aunt going to China fascinating.

Just a thought but could you look on 'Incoming Passenger List' on Ancestry, I only have Essential otherwise I would look.

It would have been unusual I think to go to China and never come back to England for a break. I 'lost' a gt uncle from 1891 till he turned up on the passenger list in 1930 with a wife returning from Rangoon, Burma.

I know you haven't a surname but you could search on first name, age and place of departure and see what comes up.
China in the late 1890's early 1900's was a place of great upheaval, 1901 saw the Boxer Uprising and many English people came home but went back again.

Good Luck, Jennifer

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 22 Mar 2010 11:25

1891 it looks as if Isabella (senior) married again and is again a widow, it is badly transcribed this nut i think it is them

Isabella Daurora (acually Dawson on the image)
Estimated birth year: abt 1836
Relation: Head
Where born: Cumberland, Workington

Civil parish: Kirkdale
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Kirkdale

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:widow
Employment status: View image

Sub-registration district: Kirkdale
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Isabella Daurora 55 (Dawson)
Joseph Smith 28 son
Henry E Smith 16 son
William T Dawson 10 step son
May L Foster 21 daughter born Garston/married
Eliza Harrison 10 (16 on image)

servant

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 11:26

Thanks Jennifer
I had not thought of that.

Yes they did come back to England on a visit because we still have the presents they brought. Also My mother said they brought servants, She was most surprised as her cousins "did not know how to dress themselves and couldn't even button their own gloves"!!!!
I let my subs to ancestry go.

At the moment I am trawling through the marriages of Smiths.No names shriek from my memory, not that I expected them to.

Anne

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 12:08

Hi Jennifer

I had looked on the 1891 census on Find my past

It is different
Dawson - Isabella - Head -widow - 50 - 1841 - Butcher
The rest of the info is the same.
Where did you find this census?

I was keeping an open mind on this as I was told that when Henry's father died he was brought up by his aunts and had assumed it was Alice who married a Yorkshire Pig farmer ( Name unknown)and she became a butcher when "times were bad"

My Grandfather went to work as a butcher for his Uncles Zachamiah and Jeremiah ( Surname unknown)

He moved South and became a Company Director of a large meat importers
Poor Isabella, she did not have much luck with her men!!

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 22 Mar 2010 12:09

Anne,

do you have a rough date that they came back to the UK.... I'm willing to spend some time on this for you as it is sooo interesting.

Dee x

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 12:28

Hi Dee

that is very kind of you.

Unfortunately I don't know anything tangible it is all recorded memory. I would think Aunt Isabella came back after 1900. My Mother was born in 1911, but I'm pretty sure that if she did actually meet them she would have been very tiny.

I have a photo of Isabella taken by Ying Cheong, Tinentsin China. She is wearing a milk maid costume and he is dressed as a jockey. They look very young. Unfortunately no date.

Thanks all your help and advice
Anne

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 22 Mar 2010 15:33

this looks like Isabella (seniors ) marriage

Marriages Mar 1887
DAWSON William Taylor W. Derby 8b 676
Smith Isabella W. Derby 8b 676

and his death

Deaths Jun 1890

Dawson William Taylor 54 W. Derby 8b 225

and ? hers

Deaths Mar 1893

Dawson Isabella 60 W.Derby 8b 226

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 16:06

Whow Jennifer that is great

I was trying to find great aunts but to get it back to Great grandmother is a lot more than I expected.

I looked up Dawson Butcher and there are so many of them!!

Anne

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 22 Mar 2010 16:15

Hi Anne,

I had a good look on the UK incoming passenger lists, unfortunately nothing jumped out at me.... the other problem I thought was that if Mabel and Florence married just prior to WW1 then I would be looking for possibly 3 different surnames travelling together, if they travelled when your mother was a young girl (1915 +/- 5 years, my search period).

I have started to look at Water Engineers on the 1881 census and trying to match a marriage to Isabella....... not accomplished anything there either!

It's probably only one small bit of info missing that would help to sort it out, so maybe a trawl through your paperwork again?

I think Jennifer and I are so intrigued by this that we wont let it rest... I did start looking last night before I even added to your thread.

Dee x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2010 20:07

???????? Henry in 1901??

1901 Census

Name: Henry E Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Liverpool, London, England

Civil parish: Rochester St Margaret
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: Kent

Registration district: Medway
Sub-registration district: Rochester and Chatham

George W Wigley 34 Trinity House Pilot
Mary L Wigley 35
Weaby A H Wigley 11
George M D Wigley 9
Gertrude E E Wigley 4
William C Wigley 2
Edith M Witchlow 22 Sister-in-law
Henry E Smith 26 Butcher's Clerk

sylvia

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 20:42

Thanks Dee

I realised that it would not be an easy problem.I had not come across freebmd before and will try and spend some of tomorrow looking for a Smith marriage. The trouble is that there are so many that I can't buy all the certs!!!!

Anne

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 20:52

Hi Sylvia

Yes is is my Grandfather. He met my Grandmother Hannah Eleanor Wigley and they Married in 1890. He was then working for James Nelson Ltd where he eventually became a Director.

I am very lucky in the fact that Graham Giles has written a wonderful family tree " Giles and Wigley families of Kent " and has documented the Family fully, including the wills. Also the Medway Records have the City Ark where a lot of the church registers are on line

If only the Smiths were so easy!!

Anne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2010 20:58

BUT

Henry E Smith was on the 1891 Census, with who RutlandBelle thought mught be mother Isabella remarried to Mr Dawson

and Henry was only 16 then

did he really marry Miss Wigley when he was 15 or 16????

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Mar 2010 21:03

Ah

according to the Giles and Wigley Family Public Tree on ancestry

Henry and Hannah Eleanor Wigley married 3 August 1901

sylvia

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2010 21:06

No. Greatgrand father liked him but it meant that Hannah would have to go to London to live when he eventually gave his consent Henry was 26 and Hannah 21. Anne