Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Little Sampford Essex

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

N

N Report 4 Jul 2010 08:30

Trying to confirm birthplace of my relative James Smith c1762 - he married Ann Drane in 1796 at Great Sampford and settled in Little Sampford Essex. I believe that James was born in Helions Bumpstead and am hoping someone has access to parish register for Gt Sampford to see if recorded which parish he was from???
Ta Nola

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 4 Jul 2010 16:38

Have you tried a search on this site to see if anyone else is looking for the family or the IGI on familysearch.org
Liz

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 4 Jul 2010 16:42

Or FreeREG - which is growing all the time so worth keeping tabs on ...

Jill

N

N Report 5 Jul 2010 12:19

IGI has been searched but Smith presents difficulties. Trying to pin James to this one particular family in Helions Bumpstead, not easy. Will try the other two tho' Thanks

N

N Report 5 Jul 2010 12:20

Thans Jill - will look on Free reg.

Gael

Gael Report 6 Jul 2010 11:45

Have you tried to search on this site

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

Start with Essex first

Gael

N

N Report 10 Jul 2010 14:17

Thanks Gael - will try this one now!! Cheers

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 11 Jul 2010 18:39

Hi Nola.
If you go to the Essex Record Office site SEAX and sign in as a guest.
Click on images & enter in the search box.......

"great sampford"

The parish registers are there for you to look at.

Hope this will help.

Malcolm.

N

N Report 13 Jul 2010 10:58

Thanks Malcolm - the seax site and I are old friends by now - but I still am experiencing difficulty in pinning down exactly where "my" James Smith sprang from. Going through this site has helped enormously and have purchased parish register copies on microfiche but am still stumped in pinning this relative down. Will keep trying though!
Cheers
Nola