Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great great grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 26 Jul 2010 09:31

I am trying to find my gr,gr,grandfather Thomas Smith born in the Durham area UK approximately 1815-20. All I have is my gr grandfathers name and year of birth which was 1855 he was born in,Sunderland and his wife my gr grandmother was Maria Pallace. My grandmother was Louise Hortington Smith.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 26 Jul 2010 09:50

Hi Jean,

so working backwards this is Gr Grandfather;

1901 England Census about Thomas Smith
Name: Thomas Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1855
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Maria
Where born: Sunderland, Durham, England
Civil parish: Sunderland
Ecclesiastical parish: Sunderland St John
County/Island: Durham
Street Address: Vine Street

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Sunderland
Sub-registration district: Sunderland
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 130
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Smith 46
Maria Smith 22
Louisa Smith 6
Margaret Smith 2
William Taylor 55 >> widow born Sunderland

Dee x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 26 Jul 2010 09:55

Jean,

I presume that you have the marriage certificate for Thomas and Maria, who were the witnesses? What was his fathers occupation (if listed)?

Do you think it was possible that your Gr Grandfather was previously married?

Dee x

Jean

Jean Report 28 Jul 2010 09:00

Hi Dee I have a copy of the census and there was another 3 brothers born after Margaret. I have my greatgrandmother Maria's family going back a few generations. Thomas was killed in the First World War and I believe I've found him on the WGC.

Jean

Jean Report 28 Jul 2010 09:08

Hi Dee, no I don't have a copy of their marriage certificate and I never thought about him being married before. I did wonder about the age difference though.
Jean

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 28 Jul 2010 09:38

Jean,

I would definitely order Thomas and Maria's marriage certificate, it may hold information that will help you to trace the Smith side.

Dee x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Jul 2010 09:47

Can't resist putting this - such a distinctive name, and what luck he married her!

Marriages Mar 1895 (>99%)
Pallace Maria Archbold Sunderland 10a 716
Smith Thomas Sunderland 10a 716

Jean

Jean Report 28 Jul 2010 09:47

Thanks Dee I will ask my family if they have it as they gave me some certificates, otherwise I'll have to get it myself. I have been trying for a long time to figure this out.
Jean

Jean

Jean Report 28 Jul 2010 09:50

Thanks for that didn't know when they married but my grandmother was born May 1895!!!!!!
Jean