Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BERTRAM SMITH b 1905

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 27 Jul 2010 02:56

Trying to find death record for Bertram Smith born Sept. quarter 1905, born in Woodcote Oxfordshire. His mother was Minnie Hayden 1883-1923 and his father was Herbert Smith 1880-1958, both born in Goring. I have tried free BMD for the years between 1905 & 1983, but nothing comes up which matches his age to the possible years of death. Have tried WW2 records, but they are of no help, as they just give name & rank etc. with no other info about where they are from or parentage. Any help would be very much appreciated
Cheers Kristin

Vicci

Vicci Report 27 Jul 2010 04:10

1911 census for info

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born Original
census

SMITH, Herbert Head Married
7 years M 31 1880 General Labourer Oxfordshire Goring VIEW
SMITH, Minnie Wife Married F 26 1885 Oxfordshire Southstoke VIEW
HAYDEN, Edward Son M 8 1903 Oxfordshire Kidmore End VIEW
SMITH, Bertram Son M 5 1906 Oxfordshire Woodcote VIEW
SMITH, Emma Daughter F 3 1908 Oxfordshire Woodcote VIEW
SMITH, Percy Son M 0 (9 MONTHS) 1911 Oxfordshire Goring VIEW
RG number:
RG14 Piece:
6540 Reference:
RG14PN6540 RG78PN324 RD120 SD1 ED10 SN39

Registration District:
Bradfield Sub District:
Bucklebury Enumeration District:
10 Parish:
Goring

Address:
Eastfield Lane Goring Heath County:
Berkshire

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 27 Jul 2010 04:41

Thanks Victoria, I forgot to mention that I had the 1911 census for Bertram, it is his death record that is eluding me
Kindest regards Kristin

Vicci

Vicci Report 27 Jul 2010 05:14

do you know if he married / had children etc.....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jul 2010 05:15

Kristin

freebmd is not yet up to 1983

records have been input only up to about 1940, with some as recent as 1950.

You have to look on ancestry.co.uk to see the records between 1940 and 2005

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jul 2010 05:20

I have had a quick look at the death records on ancestry ............. unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyone of his name showing.

Of course, we don't know if he stayed in Oxfordshire or not! Do you??

sylvia

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 27 Jul 2010 06:27

Hi Sylvia, no I don't know if he stayed in Oxfordshire, when I went onto Free BMD I tried all counties and all districts with no results. I suppose he may have emmigrated somewhere, but I think this is a long shot. Unfortunately I do not have a subscription to Ancestry. I did go onto the site and put in his name, but all I got was "join now" I just can't afford to get a subscription at the moment, as much as I would like to. Thanks for trying for me
Cheers Kristin

Astra

Astra Report 27 Jul 2010 06:49

There is a death of Bertram Smith on Ancestry born 1905 who died in 1987 in Birmingham but his birth date is given as 14th October 1905 so it can't be the same one unfortunately.

Terence Michael

Terence Michael Report 27 Jul 2010 07:17

Thank you for trying Astra. I have since found his birth date was 20.8.1905
Cheers Kristin

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jul 2010 20:57

don't forget that much of the information given on a death certificate is only that which is known to the informant

................. and as such may well be incorrect.

The only information on a death certificate that you can trust to be correct is:-

date and place of death
cause of death
name and address of doctor
name, address and relationship of informant

All other information is only that which is know by the informant ......... including the correct name, age or birth date, and marital status!

My grandfather told everyone that his birthday was December 25 1884 or 1885 ............. after his death we discovered it was really January 9 1885.

In other words .... don't discount that Bertram just on the basis of the birth date.

sylvia