Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rose Smith d.o.b 8/11/1914

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Aug 2010 12:18

Hi please could someone find out for me where my Nanna was born. I thought she was born in Grimsby but i noticed that another person had her as being born in Sculcoates.

Her name was Rose Smith d.o.b 8/11/1914 her mother was Elizabeth (nee Wivell) and her father James Smith any info would be appreciated

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Aug 2010 12:23

For reference, I believe this would be Rose's parent's marriage:

Marriages Sep 1901 (>99%)
GREGGE Emily Grimsby 7a 1365
Russell David Thomas Grimsby 7a 1365
****SMITH James Grimsby 7a 1365
****Wivell Elizabeth Grimsby 7a 1365

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 30 Aug 2010 12:24

this one perhaps;

Births Dec 1914
Smith Rose Wybell Grimsby 7a 1143

mother's maiden name is down as Wybell

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 30 Aug 2010 12:24

A little creative spelling??

Births Dec 1914 (>99%)
Smith Rose Wybell Grimsby 7a 1143

Maureen

snap,Jennifer

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Aug 2010 12:28

hmm a little confusing i will perhaps have to obtain a copy of the birth certificate to see if my granny smith was listed as Wybell

thanks for your help

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 30 Aug 2010 12:46

Gillian the image does say Wybell, but do remember that this index is a copy of copies so you may find that on the birth cert it does say Wivell. But if you do order it from the GRO do quote the ref as on the index or they won't supply

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Aug 2010 13:04

ok thank you. It did make me chuckle though as i know my Grannie Smith's maiden name was Wivell

Joy

Joy Report 30 Aug 2010 13:15

When said at the time, it may have sounded like Wybell; sometimes one has to have lateral thinking :-)
For example, Trelawney was registered as Troloner (Cornish name said in a Suffolk accent).