Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

australian

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 16 Sep 2010 11:31

hi please can anyone help me find a record of my uncle albert smith , he went alone on assisted passage to australia about 1920's could have sailed from portsmouth or southampton,and he went to sydney and never returned,grateful for any help ,regards, alan.

Valerie

Valerie Report 17 Sep 2010 01:07

Hi Alan - do you have an approx. date of birth for Albert?

Do you have any more clues? i.e. parents' names would help.

Valerie (WAus)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 Sep 2010 01:45

At the site moonbi gave, you can search deaths up to 1979 using the parents' given names in the search criteria. So if you know them (he's your uncle, so you do ;) ) and if the person who reported his death knew them, and if he died before that date, it might be possible to identify his death.

The death notices indexed at www.ryersonindex.org (more recent) also often give ages of the deceased. ... It shows 297 Albert Smiths ...

Alan

Alan Report 18 Sep 2010 14:00

hi valerie, sorry i dont havehis parents names only that his mothers name was cheverill, i have the last letter he wrote my mother was signed uncle bert, auntie ada ,and joan?,
the address was SPRING VALE,WANNAMAL,MID LINE VIA PERTH, WA.
was sent october 23 1938

Alan

Alan Report 18 Sep 2010 14:14

hi albert signed himself off as uncle bert, auntie ada, and joan?,
auntie ada may be a sibling ,or wife or both ,no idea who joan is (mystery),he had a ranch there and died there , but ada lost both legs and was air lifted home by the red cross to portsmouth, regards alan.

moonbi

moonbi Report 19 Sep 2010 01:16

www.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

from the drop down scroll box choose "death"
enter
surname Smith
Forename Albert
years 1939 leave the other box blank
choose "male"
then search
more than one page of Albert Smith comes up for WA
You need to sift through the names on the pages and decide which may or may not be your relative.

Moonbi in NSW

moonbi

moonbi Report 19 Sep 2010 01:18

using the same site as above

you can choose marriage from the drop down box

but change the starting year

moonbi

moonbi

moonbi Report 19 Sep 2010 01:29

could this be the marriage???
Ida is very similar to Ada
marriage
surname given name sex spouse surname spouse given name spouse sex Place of marriage Registration district Registration Number Registration Year

Smith Albert R R male to Wilding Ida G female Perth 686 1936

Valerie

Valerie Report 19 Sep 2010 05:18

Alan - may I suggest you contact the 'West Australian State Library' (on-line) ...they have an 'Ask a Librarian' service - they will check their many records -including electoral rolls for that last address you have. (I think it may be nr 'Midland')
........Valerie (WAus)

Alan

Alan Report 19 Sep 2010 19:29

thank you all so much for your help will keep looking regards alan.