Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Major Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 18 Sep 2010 23:58

I am trying to find a missing member of my family tree. Can anyone help me with information regarding a Major Smith who served with the Royal Artillery in Wiltshire, Melksham Division believed to be out of Trowbridge Barracks.I believe he was born c.1870 & died around 1930/1, and was married with 2 daughters (possibly more children). He was living in, or based in, the Melksham/Trowbridge area c.1917/18. I would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about him.

Katie

Katie Report 19 Sep 2010 00:01

Was Major his rank or christian name please?

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 19 Sep 2010 00:05

If Major was his Christian name, is this his death reg?

Deaths Mar 1931 (>99%)
Smith Major G 58 Battersea 1d 613

Christine

patchem

patchem Report 19 Sep 2010 10:22

Births Sep 1868
Smith Major Driffield 9d 262
Births Dec 1872
SMITH Major Minus W.Bromwich 6b 711

Major Minus is a brilliant name, and think what possibilities for a Captain Major Minus Smith............

patchem

patchem Report 19 Sep 2010 11:19

Message received (such a disappointment):

Hello Patricia,
We have always assumed that 'Major' was his rank not his christian name, but can't be definite on this.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Joan