Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edith Emily Smith disappears after 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 28 Sep 2010 10:22

Trying to find the above - daughter of John Milledge Smith and Elizabeth M A Oxenbury. Have her birth cert b 30th Nov. 1876 Shirley Holmes, Boldre, Hampshire (Shirley Holmes is the name of the street) Found her in 1901 birth Shirley Holmes Hampshire so know it is correct. She was a servant in Kensington to Edward B and Mary E H Stone but then disappears. Tried a death on Ancestry with christian names and exact birth date to find her married name but cannot seem to find. As this transcription starts in 1916 tried for deaths before 1916 but cannot find either.

Any ideas for the way forward now - I am at a loss and dont know what to try next. I would be very grateful for any help as I have been trying for days.

Anne

Flick

Flick Report 28 Sep 2010 10:31

You don't mention looking on freebmd for a possible marriage.........have you done so?

Exact DOB's do not appear on death records until after 1969 - at which juncture full forenames are also recorded......the practice having been discontinued in 1911

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 28 Sep 2010 10:35

Yes I have looked - there was only one possibility really but unfortunately it was one of those where there were 1 women and 1 man James William Burton. Looked in the 1911 but could only find a William James living with an Edith Emily and that was in Middlesbro but she was born in Yorks. This was in South Stoneham Hants but her father and siblings were still alive all around Boildre so thought she would have married there.

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 28 Sep 2010 10:36

Sorry should read 2 women and 1 man

Flick

Flick Report 28 Sep 2010 10:40

On 1901 census, what does she give as her birthplace?

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 28 Sep 2010 10:41

Shirley Holmes, Hampshire, England

Flick

Flick Report 28 Sep 2010 10:49

Marriages Sep 1909 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATKINSON Alice Stockbridge 2c 203
BURTON James William S. Stoneham 2c 203
SMITH Edith Emily S. Stoneham 2c 203
WEDGE Margueritte Lily S. Stoneham 2c 203

Look for ALL marriages in the area/qtr.......then select those names which have incomplete page numbers which COULD be 203, and do some follow-up searches on 1911............and on death index.

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 28 Sep 2010 10:51

Thanks Flick - I will try that

Anne