Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Smith

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 9 Nov 2010 15:20

Where could the death certificate be? John Smith died at Christmas in a Birmingham hospital, but lived with his family in Nuneaton. He was born in July, 1886 and died aged about 65??...so I was told by my father (dec); unfortunately family maths is not always accurate.
The death was supposed to be 1951, 2 or 3. I have sent for lots of John Smith certificates, but none have the right address (College Street, Nuneaton). No one in the family can remember for sure and I can't find the right one in the Nuneaton registry online.
Would there be a Birmingham hospital list I could use? An ambulance took him from a park in Birmingham in a state of collapse on Christmas Eve and he died later that night/early morning.
The John Smith name seems to be the greatest challenge in research! Please help!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Nov 2010 15:32

Nuneaton would come under as Coventry Warwickshire

his death wont appear till the next year,in the first quarter..would help if he had a second name.?

Sheila

Sheila Report 9 Nov 2010 15:41

Yes, I understand about the death appearing in the next quarter.
John Smith is the name on his birth and marriage certificate, also the 1911 census etc.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 9 Nov 2010 15:42

If he died in Birmingham his death will be registered there.
Deaths are registered where they died,not where they lived.

You need to try asking Birmingham reg office to search for it I would think.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Nov 2010 15:43

Did you see this one.

John Smith.

Oct/Dec.

9c-738.

District--Coventry Warwickshire

Age 66.

giving an est birth year - 1886

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 9 Nov 2010 15:49

Name: John Smith
Death Registration Month/Year: 1953
Age at death (estimated): 66
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 9c
Page: 119

O/N/D Quarter

Deleted 2nd one as JC is correct,Brighton on image not Birmingham.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 9 Nov 2010 15:57

There are two other possibles I see (FBG's right about place of reg -- where he died, not where he lived)

Death Registration Month/Year: 1952
Age at death (estimated): 67
Volume: 5h
Page: 46

Nope, rule that out, it's a mistranscription. It was Brighton (from the original GRO list).

The other is this:

Death Registration Month/Year: 1953 - oct-nov-dec quarter
Age at death (estimated): 66 = c1887

I guess it might help if you told us which ones you'd ruled out, as this may have been wasted effort.

Yes, by two of us, perhaps.

Check the image for that first one, FBG -- do you get the same result, Brighton not Birmingham?

Sheila

Sheila Report 9 Nov 2010 16:02

Thanks for your help so far, I will check the Birmingham certs I have and get back later. It was Birmingham not Brighton.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 9 Nov 2010 16:03

Seems to just leave the one possible then?

My grandfather lived in Woodford but died in Hackney at the hospital he worked in as that is where he wanted to die,his death is reg in Hackney NOT Woodford

Sheila

Sheila Report 9 Nov 2010 20:09

John died on Dec. 25th , therefore the registration must be in the Jan feb Mar quarter of the following year
It is not 9c 119 in 1953 Oct-Dec.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 9 Nov 2010 20:11

Then you need to ask Birmingham Reg Office for a search really if you have that cert and it is not him.

But I would have thought that they would have opened the day after boxing day as they do now,and closed again for new years day,my local one does that.
Registrars also go to the hospitals to reg things,I guess they would have done so in the 50s as well,my birth was reg in hospital as the registrar went there to do birth regs,and that was in the 50s

Sheila

Sheila Report 10 Nov 2010 11:06

Thanks for the info about the hospital reg in the 50's, I didn't know that.
I have sent an inquiry to Birmingham reg.
It's great to find helpers!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Nov 2010 11:41

I was born between Christmas and the New Year and was registered in that December quarter.
Dad had taken note when the office would be open, so was able to register me without delay.

Gwyn

Potty

Potty Report 10 Nov 2010 13:08

Yes, Gwyn, I think you are right that the death could have been registered in Dec qtr - the world didn't come to a standstill then between Christmas and New Year as it does now!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 14:37

Sheila, we know the death was not in Brighton. If you follow what was said -- in the index at Ancestry.co.uk, that death is shown as in Birmingham. I looked at the digital image of the real index (to check what quarter it was in), and saw that it really says Brighton, not Birmingham. Ancestry has a mistake in its transcription. (I submitted a correction.) I left it in your thread so that no one else would spend time adding it here (FBG was too quick, she already had). I said "rule that out" because it was *not* a possibility, not because I somehow thought it was.

I hadn't understood why you thought the death could not have been registered in Q4 of the year it occurred; it seemed to me that a death in an institution especially might have been registered promptly. I gather nothing much gets done in England between Christmas and New Year now. ;) I think it's not quite as bad here in Canada!

Sheila

Sheila Report 10 Nov 2010 20:14

Think I have found it at the end of 1951; I will know in a week when the certificate arrives.
Thanks very much everyone I will post the result.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 10 Nov 2010 20:32

I clicked "add" and got the Report Abuse form ... and I'm afraid I managed to report my post at 14:37. Ah, the gremlins.

Anyhow

Death Registration Month/Year: 1951
Age at death (estimated): 65

? which we seem to have managed to miss. ;) It's hugely annoying that Ancestry won't search deaths pre 1969 by month/quarter, especially when you have a John Smith!

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 10 Nov 2010 21:35

To Err is human, Janey,so we both must be human

Sheila

Sheila Report 15 Nov 2010 12:41

I now have the death certificate for 1951, so thanks everyone for a successful search.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 15 Nov 2010 12:47

Glad to hear that you now have it....We are good on here.... init?