Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long lost Brother of my Grandpa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elena

Elena Report 17 Nov 2010 13:32

I am Looking for Fred Smith. He was born in Southampton c1921 and had a brother called Alfred James and a sister Ivy Louise May who died in America around 1977. Fred met up my Grandpa in Burma in the jungle by accident during WW2 and once home believed to of married a lady called Winnie and moved away never to be seen again. Possibly to be a headmaster at a private school in Singapore but unsure.
I believe that Fred at the beginning of the war was sent to France with the BEF. Later on I believe he was an Officer in the Royal Artillery somewhere in Burma. He returned from the war to Quayside Road Southampton and thats the last we know.
They haven't spoken properly since 1945 and I would really like to know about my mothers uncle and cousins and anything about my grandfathers parents that someone may know. Thankyou to anyone who has read this and any information would be gratefully received

Regards
Ellie

Astra

Astra Report 17 Nov 2010 13:40

Frederick W Smith
Mother's Maiden Surname: Renouf
Date of Registration: Apr May Jun 1921
Registration district: Southampton
Registration county: Hampshire, Berkshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 21

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Nov 2010 13:44

Hi Ellie,

here's the births;

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Sep 1914 (>99%)
Smith Alfred J Renouf Southampton 2c 74
Births Jun 1921 (>99%)
Smith Frederick W Renouf Southampton 2c 21

Ivy was registered in march 1911 and is on the 1911 census with her parents; Alfred James and Louisa Harriet.

Dee x

jansmith

jansmith Report 17 Nov 2010 15:43

Perhaps this one
there is a marriage index for a Frederick W Smith marrying a Winifred M Smith in Southampton last quarter of 1945

Elena

Elena Report 18 Sep 2012 01:21

Hi Everyone who has replied above, Thank you soo much. Sorry I haven't replied sooner I didn't realise it had been so long and I didn't realise that it didn't notify you when kind people like yourselves reply!!
I now know that they went to Singapore Hong Kong in 1959 but now I don't know where to go from here. They had 3 children Terence 1947, Susan 1949 and Penelope 1958 I have contacted a few people on here and am waiting for a reply...
Also can someone please suggest good family tree software as most people don't rate Genes Reunited for their tree and being able to back it up etc.

Thank you in advance

Ellie x :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 Sep 2012 11:06

I use the Family History Resource File which comes in a set of discs, one of which enables you to build your own family tree (privately, not on line for all to see)

Elena

Elena Report 18 Sep 2012 14:26

Thank you Mike