Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Smith/Anne Bailiff

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mac

mac Report 21 Dec 2010 17:14

Hi All,
Know this is a difficult one being a Smith! I'm trying to find the parents of John Smith, born Catterick according to the census details 1841 - to his death in 1871. He was born between 1794 and 1797 depending on which census you check, or his burial record dated 7/3/1871 Lindale, Lancashire.

John married Anne Bailiff 8/6/1822 at Cartmel, Lancashire according to the bishops transcripts, but I haven't been able to find the banns to see if fathers name was stated. I have Anne's parents from the bishops transcripts as she was christened Cartmel.

Any help or suggestions please?

Edit - have already contacted searched trees & contacted owners, but no they have no more info.

mac

mac Report 21 Dec 2010 17:35

Thanks gc1,

it could be be either of these don't know if there is any way of checking which is the right one. Maybe favour the 6/7/1796 birth, I know he was not married Catholic - but did that make any difference then?

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Dec 2010 17:59

Have you got his death certificate ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Mar 1871 -
Smith John 77 - Ulverston 8e 498

mac

mac Report 21 Dec 2010 18:08

No, I had't thought of that, is it likely to give any more details? Not sure what they recorded back then.

mac

mac Report 21 Dec 2010 18:19

On second thoughts, thanks Mike, can't believe I overlooked the obvious! Get stuck in parish records and forget the civil registers! I'll get the certificate ordered.

Flick

Flick Report 21 Dec 2010 18:21

Death cert would record his age, occupation, date and cause of death and residence at the time, in addition to his place of death.

Nothing else about him that would help you to identify which possible baptism could be his

IF his age at death is accurate at 77, he was born no later than early March 1794

mac

mac Report 21 Dec 2010 18:27

Oh, many thanks Flick I'll save my £9.25 then. I already have the other information from census and parish transcripts.

Obviously his marriage pre-dated registration, so don't know if I'll ever know which birth, if either, was his. Knew it would be a long shot with a name like John Smith!