Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for husband of Nellie!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Poppybat

Poppybat Report 3 Feb 2008 23:40

My great-great aunt Nellie married someone with the surname Poole. She was born in South Wales in 1896, but I can't find her birth record. She is in the 1901 census as Nellie McNaughton, but was definitely not the daughter of William McNaughton, her mothers husband (who was still in Canada, and had been for some considerable time!). For this reason I suspect she was registered with a different name, maybe her real fathers?
Nellie and Mr Poole (sorry, I have no first name!) were apparently divorced, although her death was registered with his name in 1988 in Portsmouth, Hants. All I know about her husband was that he was at one time a buyer for the jewellers H Samuels.

If I could find a record of their marriage, or find someone who knew anything about her or her husband during their marriage, maybe it would give me some clues about her!

If any of this rings any bells at all, please get in touch!

Sam

Sam Report 3 Feb 2008 23:55

You are confusing me with all the different surnames!

So...

She was born 1896. Have you looked for Helen / Ellen etc as Nellie is usually a shortened version of another name?

1901 she is Nellie McNaughton? Where is she living and withy whom?

She married a Mr Poole?

What was her mothers maiden name? Approximately when did she marry Mr Poole? Was this her first husband? Did she have any children and if so, who where and when?

Poppybat

Poppybat Report 4 Feb 2008 22:42

Thankyou all for your replies! I wasn't sure I would get any...

Yes, I have tried searching for all the likely "longer" versions of the name Nellie, with no luck.

Yes, Nellie McNaughton is listed in the 1901 census with her mother Sarah, and siblings Frank, Charles and Flossie (Florence). She also witnessed the marriage of a cousin in 1918 using the name Nellie McNaughton.

She was only married the once, and they didn't have any children, so no leads there.

The divorce records sound interesting. I'm going to have to do some digging around to see if I can establish the first name of her mysterious husband (Mr Poole) and see if that leads anywhere.

Thankyou again!