Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Moodie of Inverkeithing 1851

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jack

Jack Report 3 Oct 2008 02:13

Hi

In the 1851 the census for Inverkeithing shows a Margaret Moodie as head of house with children some not her own. Does anyone know anything about her. Was she married.? what was her maiden name? Some of the children were not hers, whose were they?

Answers to any of those questions would be greatly appreciated by the dumbest family genealogist in the world.

Thank you for any interest shown.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

JenW

JenW Report 3 Oct 2008 02:58

couple of possibilities for her in 1841

1841 Scotland Census
about Margaret Moodie
Name: Margaret Moodie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Where born: Fife, Scotland

Civil Parish: Inverkeithing
County: Fife
Address: High Street
Parish Number: 432
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John McCormick 15
James Moodie 25
Margaret Moodie 30

1841 Scotland Census
about Margaret Moodie
Name: Margaret Moodie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Where born: Fife, Scotland

Civil Parish: Inverkeithing
County: Fife
Address: High Street
Parish Number: 432
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Richard Baird 7
Andrew Blaick 3 Mo
Elizabeth Marshall 21
Elizabeth McQueen 11
Elizabeth Moodie 73
Margaret Moodie 30
Robert Moodie 70

Jack

Jack Report 3 Oct 2008 04:12

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your interest. I am constantly amazed at the help that is given on these boards.

I dont have a copy of the census for 1851 as I saw it in Florida at a LDS church and was not able to get a copy of the page.

It appears from some of my notes that I was reviewing, that William Moodie is the son of Margaret Moodie, and was born in Inverkeithing 1962/63.

As I remember about the 1851 census page that I saw, Maragret was also housing John Steele age 6 and James Steele age 8 and Margaret was paid by the local authority to keep them. Why I dont know
The information that I have states that John was born in Leslie Fife not Inverkeithing. That is contrary to the 1851 census although I think that the census only asks for the shire that he was born in. But in later census`s John stated that he wa born in Inverkeithing. Who knows.

Again Thank you.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Jack

Jack Report 3 Oct 2008 15:45

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the information.

While the census info for 1851 shows a Margaret Moodie is looking after John Steele age 6 and James Steele age 8 I have no way of determining if this Maragaret Moodie is the mother of William Moodie age 17 1881 census pollockshaws. It may well be. BUT. And I still dont know if the John Steele age 6 is my John Steele ( my Great Grandfather) It seems all inconclusive.

BUT Thank you just the same.

How many Margaret Moodies age 30 living in the high street in Inverkeithing ( a small place at that time and reasonably small last year when I was travelling through there ) could there be?

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 May 2010 09:20

n

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 18 May 2010 12:38

n