Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Ideas Please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

evangeline

evangeline Report 21 Oct 2008 18:55

My grandfather ( william enis lawrence ) married his second wife ( edith annie beck ) in 1946 at the age of 61. Although they married in 1946 they had their first child together in early 1921. They had obviously been together since early / mid 1920. It states he was a widower on the marriage cert (1946 ), is there any way of finding out when he first married or who he was married to.
William Enis Lawrence born 20/06/1885. Walmer Kent. (barracks )
Edith Annie Beck born 08/03/1898. Wasperton Hill. Wasperton. Warickshire.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 21 Oct 2008 20:59

Did he always live in the same area? Or where was his eldest child born?

Ozi.

evangeline

evangeline Report 21 Oct 2008 21:03

I think he may have joined the armed services, so he could've been based anywhere. thank you all for your replies, i will try to find out some more info on him. thanks once again for all your kind help.

evangeline

evangeline Report 21 Oct 2008 21:04

this could be him, can you tell me which web site you found it on, thanks

bob

bob Report 21 Oct 2008 21:04

Do you know where he lived? did he live there all his life ?. Walmer Barracks is in Deal Kent I presume was where he was born, so his Father was a soldier?
Have you got any other information?.

Bob Peters.

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 21 Oct 2008 21:12

william lawrences mariages early 1900s
sevenoaks alice styles 2a 1041 1911
croydon edith m gledhill 1912 2a 753
1912 west hamjane ray 4a 778
1915 lewisha florence e chater 1d 3350
1916 paddington kate l eborn 1a 24
1919 paddington nettie e bowles 1a 192

evangeline

evangeline Report 21 Oct 2008 21:23

Sorry, all i know is that he met my grandmother near where she came from, which was Wasperton in Warickshire, i can only assume he must have been based somewhere in that area. They moved to Topsham nr Exeter Devon, maybe to move as far away as poss from other family members.

evangeline

evangeline Report 21 Oct 2008 21:25

can i find out who he married or will i need to order a marriage cert.

bob

bob Report 22 Oct 2008 00:27

There are lots of possibilities, you need more history, where they lived, worked, Occupations, Etc.

Bob Peters.

How about these,
1916 2a 1297
1924 2a 1439
1905 2a 2363
all on FBmd

bob

bob Report 22 Oct 2008 20:55

Evangaline,
I wouldnt buy anything yet you havnt got enough information,.
Did William E, have a brother Charles ? There is a Charles Lawrence Marrying an Ethel Beck in 1927 in Grantham 7a 1261.
Were the children of William & Edith,
William B 5b 65
Kathleen R 5b 61
Fredrick C 5b 51
Jean 5b 49
All Born St Thomas Cornwall, All Lawrence Mothers maiden name Beck.

Bob Peters

evangeline

evangeline Report 23 Oct 2008 17:02

Bob.This is from the 1891 census. I can’t find them after that.
George A Lawrence. Father. Private in the royal marines. Shoe maker.Aged 44. Born Raunds. Northampton.
Charlotte Lawrence Mother. Aged 44 Born Gosport. Hants.
George H.A. Lawrence Son. Aged 15 Scholar. Born Walmer Kent.
William Enis Lawrence Son aged 5 Scholar.
Born Walmer Kent. .
Arthur E.S.Lawrence Son aged 4 Born Walmer Kent.
Frederick G Lawrence aged 2 Born Walmer Kent.
They were living at the Royal Marine Depot. Cavalry Barracks and Married Square. South Barracks. Walmer.

evangeline

evangeline Report 23 Oct 2008 17:10

Bob.
They had their first child in early 1921, i know William was married, when he ran off with my grandmother to Devon, but who or where he married is a complete mystery.I can only assume it was someone either in Kent or Northampton. Am thinking of going to Kew tomorrow to see if i can look up his and his fathers military records.
Regards. Angela

bob

bob Report 23 Oct 2008 17:23

Angela,
What do you know about, Charles Lawrence Marrying Ethek BECK?.

Bob Peters.

evangeline

evangeline Report 23 Oct 2008 17:29

Sorry Bob, nothing at all, I have an Ethel Beck c1885 in my tree but i haven't done any work on her as yet.

bob

bob Report 23 Oct 2008 18:15

Angela,
Do the names, Janet Curtis or Alice Styles mean anything to you ?.

Bob Peters.

bob

bob Report 21 Nov 2008 01:18

Hi Angela,
Sorry that you bought the the wrong certificate, it was a guess based on the E middle name, unfortunately there are about 3500 William Lawrences that could match yours. i HAVE spent some considerable time looking for you but at the moment nothing, he most probably didnt use his middle initial. If you have any geographical details these would help, but at least you know where he ended up and who his offspring were, even if you dont want to speak to them. I think you have to research your Ethel Beck I feel there may be some clues in there.

Bob Peters.

bob

bob Report 22 Nov 2008 00:43

Nudge, please can anyone shed any more light on this thread??.

Bob Peters.