Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Campbell help to find birth (updated )

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 11 Apr 2009 12:18

Joseph was my gt gt grandfather born around 1838 in Newcastle upon Tyne, St Andrews.

I have his marriage cert April 1863 to Margaret Wakenshaw/Wakinshaw St Annes Newcastle and his death cert May 1896 Newcastle St Andrews. I know from the marriage cert that his father was called Colin and he was a Quarryman. I sent for the birth cert for the most likely looking birth Joseph Henry Campbell Newcastle 1838 but it's not the correct one. There are a couple of others around that time registered in Tynemouth but I would have thought a birth in central Newcastle would have a Newcastle registration.

Joseph on various censuses has been a mason, a musician and an Inn keeper, sounds a bit of a character !. As I live in South East and am not likely to be in Newcastle regn district any time in near future has anyone access to anything else that may solve this riddle for me?

Thanks as always for any help

janet

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 11 Apr 2009 12:24

Was Colin an Ag Lab?

Janet

Janet Report 11 Apr 2009 12:26

I think he may have been before the quarryman are you thinking Alnwick?

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 11 Apr 2009 12:27

It's the only one I can find

Janet

Janet Report 11 Apr 2009 12:32

yes me too, I have googled and imagie that a lot of men moved from the land to the quarries. but I just can't make the definitive link, There are lots of half clues , the bugler.... musician? and the fact that my gt grandfather was born in Berwick on Tweed Barracks but is it enough to be sure? Maybe I will send for one of those siblings certs and see if more ties up.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Apr 2009 12:51

Thanks for looking , sometimes it's good to have confirmation from another paid of eyes.

Janet

Janet Report 21 May 2009 18:33

An update since last posting, I have had the other Tynemouth birth certs back , neither are my Joe ! Grr

I have also been through the Diocese of Durham Bishops Transcripts which are available on line and been through all the baptisms at St Andrews Newcastle from 1837 to 1840 and still no sign of a Joseph son of Colin Campbell.

If the birth was before July 1837 or not officially registered and he wasn't baptised where I imagined he would be,do I give up, maybe he wasn't baptised at all ?

The family in Alnwick in 1851/1861 does look very likely based on what concrete facts I have. You experts do you just have to go with a hunch sometimes?

thanks

Janet

sablon

sablon Report 21 May 2009 18:49

Household Record 1881 British Census

Search results | Download Previous Household Next Household

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Esther TOOLE Head W Female 45 Ireland Innkeeper
James TOOLE Son Male 12 Arlecdon, Cumberland, England Scholar
Margaret TOOLE Mother In Law W Female 88 Ireland
Willie TOOLE Gr Son Male 8 Arlecdon, Cumberland, England Scholar
Sarah BURNS Serv U Female 19 Ireland Gen Dom Serv
Joseph CAMPBELL Boarder M Male 42 Newcastle On Tyne, Northumberland, England Musician
Andrew CAMPBELL Boarder Male 15 Newcastle On Tyne, Northumberland, England Musician
David CAMPBELL Boarder Male 11 Newcastle On Tyne, Northumberland, England Musician

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 8 & 9 Ennerdale Rd
Census Place Cleator, Cumberland, England
Family History Library Film 1342252
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 5191 / 132
Page Number 78

Janet

Janet Report 21 May 2009 18:54

Thanks I did see that, I think they were way from home on census night as they are also on the same census at their home address in Chirton but the ages of Joseph and his wife have been mistranscribed

Janet

Janet Report 13 Mar 2013 17:12

I found this today on parish records on Find my Past

Transcription page details

Day:20

Month:Aug

Year:1839

Forenames:Joseph Humble

Surname:Campbell

Fathers Forenames:Colling

Mothers Forenames:Elizabeth

Mothers Surname:Campbell

Birth day:

Birth month:

Birth year:

Abode:

Place:Hartlepool

County:Durham

I am presuming Colling means Collin or Colin and I cant find another Joseph Campbell born about this time to Colin/Elizabeth parents on censuses

is there anywhere else I could check it.?