Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Retro-fitting mum's MS to Lancs b indices

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mgnv

mgnv Report 22 Dec 2010 09:19

Some of you may know that the local BMD indices have different info from the GRO index. I had a pleasant surprise when I found the Wigan subdistrict of Wigan RD has reached up to 1860 in retro-fitting mum's MS to their births at:
http://lancashirebmd.org.uk/

For me, this confirmed a long-held suspicion that my ex's g gran had a brother who later emigrated to the USA. I knew the brother had the right dad from his m.cert, but I'd never gotten his b.cert, so I didn't know who his mum was. My ex's gg gran died shortly after his birth, and the family broke apart, so he's not with the family on his first census, but in the workhouse.
Anyway, now I know he's ours.

The real reason for this post is to alert others of this kind of online resource.