Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of Isabella Steele nee Douglas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jack

Jack Report 23 Jan 2011 16:18

Hi I am trying to find the death of Isabella Steele nee Douglas. As her last child John,(that I know of ) who was put in care along with his older brother James, (wards of the parish in Inverkeithing see 1851 census inverkeithing) was born in 1845 in Inverkeithing, she would have died after that birth. ( The father John Steele dissapeared also. Have you any thoughts on this conundrum.

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Jan 2011 16:22

Hello Jack, have you looked for her death on Scotland's People?
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Jack

Jack Report 23 Jan 2011 16:25

Thank you for the reply, Yes we have looked for her death but no joy there;

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

tempest

tempest Report 23 Jan 2011 16:27

did you search using her maiden name?

Jack

Jack Report 23 Jan 2011 16:29

Hi Tenpest,

Yes to the maiden name search.

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 23 Jan 2011 18:08

Jack, if Isabella died before statutory registration began in 1855 then the best you can hope for is to find a burial record.

Did she actually marry Mr. Steele? From memory of your previous threads about this family (which I can't seem to find now, have you deleted them?) I don't remember a marriage being found for her. The children (again from memory) seemed to be in care of some description on the 1851 census.. Did you find the parents together on the 1841 census please?

Jack

Jack Report 24 Jan 2011 04:47

Hi Root gatherer,

Thank you for taking an interest in my questions.

According to the 1851 census for Inverkeithing John Steele age 6 and James Steele age 8 were being taken care of by a Mrs Moodie on main street Inverkeithing. Their care was being paid for by the local parish. Johns birth was in Inverkeithing and James was in Leslie Fifeshire. ( I have been told not to call it Fifeshire as it was a Kingdom not shire. )
The parents of John and James were entered on the wedding register for Johns marriage in the 1870s, The father was named as John Steele factory worker and Isabella Douglas originally from Berwick. That is all the information that I have EXCEPT that a lady researcher came up with the possibility that James was born to a woman who accused a man of being the father and was supposed to come before the local church council. The man showed up disclaiming his being the father of the boy James and the woman never showed up. This was in Leslie Fifeshire.

That is all that I know about the parents of John ( my Great grandfather) and I know nothing of what became of James. Nor can I find any information about him. This is my brick wall I expect.

Again Thank you for taking an interest in my forebears,

Cheers,

Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada

Catherine

Catherine Report 24 Jan 2011 08:24

Have you seen this entry in IGI?

James Douglas

England and Wales Census, 1881

birth: 1844 — Dunse, Berwick, Scotland
residence: Dunse, Berwick, Scotland
parents: Isabella Douglas

Regards
Catherine

Jack

Jack Report 24 Jan 2011 15:00

Hi Catherine,

Very Interesting. will pursue it to see what happens to James.

thank you for taking an interest.

Cheers,
Jack Steele
Ontario, Canada