Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alfred Nowell - 1878

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 30 Jun 2011 22:02

I am trying to find my grandfather Alfred Nowell after 1918.

I am an Ancestry Worldwide Member.

Born in Tipton/Walsall, Staffordshire in 1878 (possibly 1877) to George Nowell and Mary Ann Robinson.
Married in 1905 to Eliza Hannah Terry
Found on the 1911 Census with my father George William Nowell and his sister Ethel Evelyn Nowell.
Found Military Records with KOYLI's and Pension Records. Was not killed in 1914/18 Great War

Reportedly left my grandmother circa 1919 and ran off with a 'singer'. Not heard from after that. My father refused to talk about his father and remaining family have no idea what happened to Alfred.

I cannot find a death for him in England. There are deaths for Alfred Nowell - Huddersfield, Crewe, Blackpool plus one or two others - but none of these are my grandfather.

Could have left England so not to be found. Could have slightly changed his name.

I am desperate to find out what happened to him and whether he had other children. 1921 Census may help when it is released in 2020.

QUESTIONS:

He may have continued drawing his War Pension but where do I ring for this information? I have his KOYLI military number.

How do I access Outgoing Passenger Lists to other countries?

Am I missing something which may be staring me in the face.

Jacky

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 30 Jun 2011 22:34

Hello Colin

I think he 'departed' after 1918 but I will have a look at your info. Thanks for quick reply and if you've time keep looking please.

Jacky

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 30 Jun 2011 22:36

Outgoing passenger lists from 1890 to 1960 are available here

www.findmypast.co.uk.

Which is where Colin got the one he has posted...

There are selected countries lists on Ancestry .

I note on 1911 that he is a Coal Miner.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 30 Jun 2011 22:48

Will have a look on findmypast. Have looked on Ancestry but will check again.

Yes he was a Coal Miner but became a part time soldier in the KOYLI's. He didn't go to war, possibly trained new recuits, but got a War Pension for something or another.

Jacky