Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births South Australia 1902-1913 Family name "Day"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy

Joy Report 1 Jul 2011 19:05

I need help from someone who has access to South Australian records, please.
My great uncle, Christopher Smith Day, emigrated from Belfast, Northern Ireland to Adelaide SA in the early years of the 20th century. He and his wife Elsie ( nee Laing) were born in Scotland.
They already had 3 children. At least 4 more were born in Australia: 2 sons, Christopher and Alexander and 2 daughters.
All I have on these daughters is their initials N and B - taken from an " In Memoriam" newspaper notice for their father who died in 1913. I would be so grateful if someone could help me find details about the daughters. N and B could be pet names. An elder sister, Christine, was known as "Chrissie"
Joy

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 2 Jul 2011 00:33

Hi Joy.

Can see a birth registered in South Australia 1909 for a Blanche Elsie Nora DAY Father: Christopher Smith DAY.. Mother: Elsie Grant Ross LAING
This possibly is the B taken from newspaper.

This was the only birth registered in this state on cd.index with these parents. ( "that i can find" )

South Australia index:
Surname: DAY
Given Names: Blanche Elsie Norah
Date: 1909-03-17
Sex: F
Father: Christopher Smith DAY
Mother: Elsie Grant Ross LAING
Birth Place/Residence: North Adelaide
District Code: Ade
Symbol:
Book: 819
Page: 111
Cross Reference:

However, looking at marriages for female DAY surnames with father as Christopher or Christopher Smith DAY we find three marriages in S.A ( 1917 to 1937 )

The second marriage is Ellen Nora Margaret DAY....could this be the N.? ( as in Nora )

Groom: MILLER
Given names: Henry Frank Dudley
Bride: DAY
Given names: Blanche Elsie Nora
Date: 1931-01-16
Groom Age: 21
Groom's Father: Arthur William MILLER
Bride Age: 21
Bride's Father: Christopher DAY
Place: Registry Office Adelaide
District: Ade
Symbol: S
Book/Page: 326/70
Cross Reference:

Groom: FENNELL
Given names: Robert William
Given names: Ellen Nora Margaret
Date: 1927-03-14
Groom Age: 27
Groom's Father: John FENNELL
Bride Age: 23
Bride's Father: Christopher Smith DAY
Place: Methodist Manse Mount Gambier
District: Gre
Symbol:
Book/Page: 310/843
Cross Reference:

This next marriage is probably the "Chrissie" ( Christian Flora OLive ) you mention.

Groom: UREN
Given names: William Thomas
Given names: Christian Flora Olive
Date: 1937-11-20
Groom Age: 34
Groom's Father: Thomas Charles UREN
Bride Age: 37
Bride's Father: Christopher Smith DAY
Place: Registry Office Adelaide
District: Ade
Symbol: S
Book/Page: 383/4528
Cross Reference:

Hope that helps.

Tony ( Victoria Australia )

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jul 2011 09:41

Hi Tony,
Thank you so much for looking these up for me. I am delighted to get them. It's the family all right. I am really grateful that you took the trouble - and to find the marriages for me - it opens up a whole new field of research.
I see you are researching Essex ancestry. The Days came originally from Ardleigh in Essex.
Best Wishes
Joy in Belfast

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 2 Jul 2011 12:20

Hi Joy.

Your welcome :-)

Yes, my lot have been in Essex County since the mid1500s. ( parish records ) Although i have listed only three surnames......in total there are over 50 surnames in my tree from this one County.
I have seen the surname DAY in various Villages/Parishes in Essex many times during my last 40 years of research.
The earliest was 1460 ( Manor Court Rolls ) document 57100369 in my own lots ancestral Village... seen as an Andrew DEY and DEYE.....along with DAY

Cheers. Tony :-)

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jul 2011 12:28

Colin, Many thanks for taking the trouble to look up my family for me. The Day tree on Ancestry belongs to my sister. We only discovered last week (through an Ancestry hint) that the family had gone to South Australia.We had found Elsie and the children travelling to South Africa where Christopher had two brothers living, but don't know if they stayed there, went on to NZ and stayed there or went straight on to Adelaide.
I have been almost completely in the dark about this branch of the family and really appreciate your help.
Joy

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jul 2011 12:39

Helen, Many thanks indeed for following up these records for me.
I am absolutely thrilled to have the details of these relatives, most of whom I never knew existed. Bit of an irony that I missed Laurel Irene by a little over a year. I am so grateful for your help.
Joy,